Anti-Hero and the likes

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Kaylaoshizz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Anti-Hero and the likes

Post by Kaylaoshizz »

Helloo,

I’ve been very interested in books where the protagonist isn’t your everyday “let’s save the world and be as nice as possible”. I need nihilistic and unhinged people. Not quite villainous but more as in they couldn’t care less about the consequences of their actions. Exemples are Boy Parts by Eliza Clarks or My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh.

anything is welcome and the more bizarre the book is the better it is.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

I've heard that Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire trilogy is from the perspective of an anti-hero, though I haven't read it myself. Oh, and you might like to check out The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan, and of course the Witcher books. The former features a thieving duo, one of whom is rather cruel and cynical if I remember correctly (I read the series a long time back), and the latter features a charmed monster-killer trying to navigate and balance a world undergoing some kind of vital change and therefore full of moral complexity and ambiguity. I haven't read the Witcher series either, except the two story collections that precede the series proper, but they build up the tone and atmosphere very well, so based on my judgement I'm hoping you'll find what you're looking for. Happy reading!
jo99
Currently Reading: dark matter empire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo99.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by jo99 »

I've been looking for books like that too! but i specifically want fantasy books.
you might enjoy Vicious by v. e. schwab if you haven't read it already
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Judge
Bookshelf Size: 2285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

The style of writing is bit artistic and might not suit everyone, but it does fit the vibe. The MC doesn't really care about sacrifices on the way. He is quite unhinged and some substance abuse is not helping him staying sane. I only read the first book because I felt like I need a re-read before going on. It did seem like he would get even worse as the series progresses.

The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

Death’s Favourite Warlock by Charles Dean. The main character starts out as an average morally right character, but get’s slowly twisted by the voice inside his head and the promise of power. It’s a fantasy litrpg book with a side of humor
I Like Fiction Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-like-fiction-books.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by I Like Fiction Books »

Disney Cruella: The Manga: Black, White, and Red by Hachi Ishie is great if you want to read a graphic novel. I wouldn’t quite say the main character spreads havoc over London, but she is rather unhinged and an anti-hero. The graphics are beautiful and there is a nice plot.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”