newbie(as a reader)

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
jashan ps
Favorite Book: The american predator
Currently Reading: From sex to superconsciousness
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jashan-ps.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

newbie(as a reader)

Post by jashan ps »

To be honest I am not an avid reader. I just want to try this because I have loved some of the books
such as - sex at dawn by Christopher Ryan , Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl, predictably irrational by Dan Ariely and few more. I love social psychology as a subject(though this is not the subject i am pursuing in my graduation right now) i like to see inside a man's life. his difficulties, his actions they interest's me.
Please can someone suggest me few books(maybe your favorite one's) So, that i can give a honest try to reading.
Thankyou so much :))
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

With books, once you start reading, they become addictive. I have been a reader from the time I was young and I have gone through a phase when I am busy and can not read but when I start again, I do not want to stop.
My favorite books include
Rich Dad Poor dad by Robert Kiyosaki
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Jackelyn Olayon Elgario
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackelyn-olayon-elgario.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jackelyn Olayon Elgario »

Your right Tamara!
Also, you will be proud of yourself once you finished reading one book, so you will crave to read once again and again. I also read the Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, that is one of the best financial literacy book I have ever read so far.
Oluwatobilola Olu-awe
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatobilola-olu-awe.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

Post by Oluwatobilola Olu-awe »

If you’re a new reader I’ll recommend you start at the basics
The Harry Potters
The Percy Jackson’s
The hunger games
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

I picked up a book at 16 years old, with a dictionary, to teach myself to read. I did not know how to read then. The book was called "Star Wars: The Bacta War". Since then, well 22 years later, I have expanded my range of books to include everything from Star Wars to political-war suspense (mostly Harold Coyle), and historical/academic accounts.

I guess my point is this: once you start reading, much like anything else that you devote time & energy to, you will expand upon that taste range. My favorite all-time books include the following 8 individual books & 2 book series; the first two books by Harold Coyle are a mini-series and I highly recommend them, while Jane de Longh does an excellent job of giving us an inside look into one of history's first powerful women (think modern day Hillary Clinton or Margaret Thatcher). For history nerds, Geoffrey Parker's Charles V book is excellent.

Hopefully one of these books will spike your interest, if not particularly in your primary interest.

* Look Away ---- Harold Coyle, 1995

* Until the End --- Harold Coyle, 1996

*Star by Star --- Troy Denning, 2001

*Traitor --- Matthew Stover, 2002

* X-Wing series --- Michael A. Stackpole & Aaron Allston (books 1 through 7 of 10), 1996-2012

* Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy --- Timothy Zahn, 1991, 1992, 1993

* Thrawn --- Timothy Zahn, 2017

* Francis I: The Maker of Modern France --- Leonie Frieda, 2018

* Emperor: A New Life of Charles V ---- Geoffrey Parker, 2019

* Margaret of Austria: Regent of the Netherlands ---- Jane de Longh, 1953
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Grass by Mark Mc Quown

Post by Alissa Nesson »

The Harry Potter series is a fun and engaging series that’s easy to read and perfect for a new reader. I also recommend Agatha Christie mysteries (Murder On The Orient Express is a classic), Matilda by Roald Dahl, and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimen. My favorite author is Anne Rice. I love her Mayfair Chronicles and the Vampire Chronicles.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Latest Review: Grass by Mark Mc Quown
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I recommend you join your local public library. Take some time to browse the shelves and talk to the librarian about what your interests are. Choose two or three to try, and if you don't like them, that's ok. Take them back and choose some more. Eventually, you'll find something that suits you.
Mikayla Young 2
Currently Reading: The Sea of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikayla-young-2.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 98%

Post by Mikayla Young 2 »

For a historical, educational, and looking into people's minds and the reasoning behind their actions, I recommend Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid. I read it for a world literature college class and found it highly informative and intriguing when it came to learning about how and why the main character Daru along with the people he meets think, act, and behave the way they do towards themselves and others in the book.
Other books I would recommend that you might find interesting or to start your reading off with are:
- Holes by Louis Sachar (historical fiction)
- Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (fantasy, mythology)
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (classic historical fiction)
- The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (historical fiction)
- Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder (poetry/verse, romance, paranormal)

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”