Dystopia recommendations

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Ecaterina Raileanu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecaterina-raileanu.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

Dystopia recommendations

Post by Ecaterina Raileanu »

Do you have recommendations for good dystopia books like those written by Orwell?
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

Actually, the BOTM a few months back was a really really good dystopian that reminded me of some Orwellian concepts! It's called Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill. I think it would fit your criteria :)
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

"Terms of Service" and its sequel, "The Prophecy of the Heron," by Craig Stanfill, are great reads in this category. I think you will like them.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

I would gladly recommend Shatter Me series!
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Word Wise Wiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-word-wise-wiz.html
Latest Review: Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics by Shannon Duncan

Post by Word Wise Wiz »

I would also recommend "Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice" by Craig Stanfill. I would describe this book as a fusion of dystopia, science fiction and satire. What I like most about the book is that it parallels many situations that humanity is faced with today.
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

1. "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley: Set in a futuristic society, this novel depicts a world where people are genetically engineered and controlled through technology, exploring themes of conformity, consumerism, and the loss of individuality.

2. "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury: In a world where books are banned and burned, this novel follows a fireman tasked with burning them. It delves into the suppression of knowledge, censorship, and the importance of critical thinking.

3. "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood: This chilling tale presents a future where women's rights have been severely limited, focusing on the life of Offred, a Handmaid. It examines themes of gender oppression, authoritarianism, and reproductive control.

4. "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel: Set in a post-apocalyptic world after a devastating flu pandemic, this novel follows a group of survivors as they navigate a world without modern comforts. It explores the power of art, the fragility of civilization, and the resilience of humanity.

5. "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro: This haunting novel presents a dystopian society where clones are created for organ donation. It delves into themes of identity, mortality, and the ethical implications of scientific advancements.

6. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry: Set in a seemingly utopian society, this book follows Jonas, who discovers the dark truth behind the apparent perfection. It raises questions about conformity, free will, and the consequences of suppressing emotions.

These books offer compelling dystopian visions and engage with societal issues, much like George Orwell's works. Each one presents a unique perspective on the potential consequences of societal control and raises important questions about individual freedom, power structures, and the human condition.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”