sea creatures taken seriously

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

sea creatures taken seriously

Post by Carly Sprout »

Hey! I'm currently overcome with 'mythical water madness' again. Does any one have some good recommendations for mermaid books that are taken seriously and have a feminist perspective? As a reader who is interested in exploring stories about mythical creatures, I'm particularly interested in reading books that center on mermaids as complex and dynamic characters, rather than simply romanticizing their appearance or actions. It doesn't have to be strictly "mermaid" either; any water spirit/entity would do, I think. Maybe there's a book you've read where the ocean/river feels like a character itself. Maybe you cant get a fictional small-town seaside village out of your head. Maybe you really connected with a good river fishing autobiography...

I would be grateful for any recommendations you could offer, and I'm open to books in any genre or format. Thank you for your help, and I look forward to discovering some great new reads!
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

Wow finally found some one who shares my taste :

1. "The Deep" by Rivers Solomon: This novel reimagines the mythology of mermaids through the story of Yetu, a mermaid who holds the painful history and memories of her people. It delves into themes of identity, community, and the weight of history.

2. "The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea" by Maggie Tokuda-Hall: Set in a world of pirates and political intrigue, this book follows Flora, a young woman disguised as a boy on a ship, and Evelyn, a mermaid caught in a dangerous trade. It explores themes of gender identity, power, and rebellion.

3. "The Sea Witch" by Sarah Henning: This retelling of "The Little Mermaid" focuses on the origin story of the sea witch, Ursula. It provides a complex and sympathetic portrayal of the character, delving into her motivations and struggles.

4. "The Pisces" by Melissa Broder: Blending romance, magical realism, and humor, this novel follows Lucy, a woman who becomes infatuated with a merman she meets at the beach. It explores themes of love, desire, and personal transformation.

5. "Girls of Paper and Fire" by Natasha Ngan: While not specifically about mermaids, this fantasy novel features a richly imagined world with a water-based kingdom. It follows Lei, a girl chosen to serve in the king's court, and explores themes of power, oppression, and the strength of female friendships.
The Surface Breaks" by Louise O'Neill: This feminist retelling of "The Little Mermaid" challenges the traditional narrative and examines themes of agency, consent, and female empowerment. It presents a darker and more thought-provoking perspective on the mermaid myth.
"The Mermaid's Sister" by Carrie Anne Noble: This enchanting tale follows Clara, who discovers that her adopted sister, Maren, is turning into a mermaid. It explores themes of sisterhood, identity, and the choices we make for those we love.
"The Brides of Rollrock Island" by Margo Lanagan: Set on a remote island, this haunting and lyrical novel tells the story of a community where the men lure selkies to become their brides. It delves into themes of beauty, longing, and the consequences of objectifying mythical creatures.
"The Water Dancer" by Ta-Nehisi Coates: While not specifically about mermaids, this historical fiction novel incorporates elements of magical realism and centers around a protagonist with a supernatural power tied to water. It explores themes of slavery, memory, and the quest for freedom

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”