What are some great books that you've stumbled across?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Shally Z
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What are some great books that you've stumbled across?

Post by Shally Z »

Hello! One of my reading goals this year is to get out of my comfort zone and read a variety of genres. 

If you're interested in sci-fi and speculative fiction, I recommend Grace Chan's recent debut book "Every Version of You". It is set in the late 21st century, where everyone is immersed in a virtual world. Her main characters are trying to navigate the changes and consequences of a new technology that is trying to permanently upload a person's consciousness.

I came across this book by chance in my library, and even though I read it months ago, I still think about it. Honestly, I didn't expect it to make me cry.

What are some books that you only encountered by chance which surprised you or left their mark (hopefully in a good way)? I'm eager to hear your recommendations.

Thank you! :techie-studyingbrown:
Mark5327
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mark5327 »

Empty Theatre by Jac Jemc is one which really bowled me over recently. It's a piece of historical fiction about the lives of King Ludwig II and his cousin, Empress Sisi. Personally, I found it to be an absolutely riveting read, steeped with elements of queerness and packed with gorgeous prose.
Salena Locklin Dixon
Currently Reading: Devil's Ice
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salena-locklin-dixon.html
Latest Review: Thumbing It by David Done

Post by Salena Locklin Dixon »

I just finished Beneath This Mask by Meghan March. I received the book in a book exchange, it was actually self-published by the author and is the first book in a series. I went into reading it with no expectations but I fell in love with the main character "Charlie." It is a romance and has some suspense. I really enjoyed the female character and found it to be a really quick and fun read.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

I stumbled across Until the End (1996) by Harold Coyle in a used bookstore. I think I was 18 years-old at the time (20 years ago now, ouch lol). I liked the book so much, I luckily found the first book in the two-book series, Look Away (1995), however in a different used bookstore this time (a lucky find I guess). And all before the mainstream adoption of the internet to make things easier! :lol2: While I read the books in reverse, reading the #2 book ( Until the End ) first actually enriched the experience when I read the #1 book ( Look Away ) last. So much so, I went back and reread Until the End again. I believe I read the series twice over with Until the End 3 times.

It is a special gem of a mini-series if you are into family conflict in the American Civil War, where the rich & politically connected father puts one brother on one side of the war, the other brother on the opposite side, to ensure his continued social rise at the expense of his children, no matter what side won the war. Romance hits both brothers, as does a murder mystery, and the rise of both brothers within the respected armies and the comrades they interact with. You go through this whole series seeing the war and the unfolding circumstances through the father, both his sons, and both romantic interests. It is really a great series and if memory serves right, the last 4 chapters of Until the End is just nail biting and heart wrenching, as both books' stories & plots come to an end. I really wish Mr. Coyle did a third book or another series set in this same universe, but I understood why he ended it after 2 books and went on to write other books.

To this day, it was one of my favorite finds and still one of my favorite books/book series. I haven't been blessed like this since with a find. While the books are out of print, you can find them on eBay and Amazon used and in rare situations, new. I still have both of my books on our bookshelf at home.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Salena Locklin Dixon wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 20:40 I just finished Beneath This Mask by Meghan March. I received the book in a book exchange, it was actually self-published by the author and is the first book in a series. I went into reading it with no expectations but I fell in love with the main character "Charlie." It is a romance and has some suspense. I really enjoyed the female character and found it to be a really quick and fun read.
Ooh, book exchanges are so fun! I'll be sure to check it out. It looks like a decently long series on Goodreads. Thanks for the recommendation ☺️
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

BravoJedi wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 19:52 I stumbled across Until the End (1996) by Harold Coyle in a used bookstore. I think I was 18 years-old at the time (20 years ago now, ouch lol). I liked the book so much, I luckily found the first book in the two-book series, Look Away (1995), however in a different used bookstore this time (a lucky find I guess). And all before the mainstream adoption of the internet to make things easier! :lol2: While I read the books in reverse, reading the #2 book ( Until the End ) first actually enriched the experience when I read the #1 book ( Look Away ) last. So much so, I went back and reread Until the End again. I believe I read the series twice over with Until the End 3 times.

It is a special gem of a mini-series if you are into family conflict in the American Civil War, where the rich & politically connected father puts one brother on one side of the war, the other brother on the opposite side, to ensure his continued social rise at the expense of his children, no matter what side won the war. Romance hits both brothers, as does a murder mystery, and the rise of both brothers within the respected armies and the comrades they interact with. You go through this whole series seeing the war and the unfolding circumstances through the father, both his sons, and both romantic interests. It is really a great series and if memory serves right, the last 4 chapters of Until the End is just nail biting and heart wrenching, as both books' stories & plots come to an end. I really wish Mr. Coyle did a third book or another series set in this same universe, but I understood why he ended it after 2 books and went on to write other books.

To this day, it was one of my favorite finds and still one of my favorite books/book series. I haven't been blessed like this since with a find. While the books are out of print, you can find them on eBay and Amazon used and in rare situations, new. I still have both of my books on our bookshelf at home.
I love a good book that you can reread. This sounds like such an interesting idea for a historical fiction series and just how complex families can be. It seems to have a touch of everything - love, suspense, drama and even murder!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'd love to give it a read but a quick search on Amazon tells me that the paperback of Look Away is selling for around $70 where I'm from (ouch!). I'll keep my eyes open but might have to try my luck at a secondhand bookstore or try and find the ebook (how scandalous! :lol2:).
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

Shally Z wrote: 05 May 2023, 18:02
BravoJedi wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 19:52 I stumbled across Until the End (1996) by Harold Coyle in a used bookstore. I think I was 18 years-old at the time (20 years ago now, ouch lol). I liked the book so much, I luckily found the first book in the two-book series, Look Away (1995), however in a different used bookstore this time (a lucky find I guess). And all before the mainstream adoption of the internet to make things easier! :lol2: While I read the books in reverse, reading the #2 book ( Until the End ) first actually enriched the experience when I read the #1 book ( Look Away ) last. So much so, I went back and reread Until the End again. I believe I read the series twice over with Until the End 3 times.

I love a good book that you can reread. This sounds like such an interesting idea for a historical fiction series and just how complex families can be. It seems to have a touch of everything - love, suspense, drama and even murder!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'd love to give it a read but a quick search on Amazon tells me that the paperback of Look Away is selling for around $70 where I'm from (ouch!). I'll keep my eyes open but might have to try my luck at a secondhand bookstore or try and find the ebook (how scandalous! :lol2:).
Try eBay. You can probably find it cheaper.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Mailab
Currently Reading: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mailab »

Past 5 years, when I was 20 that time, I discovered a book entitled Never Alone by Lynn Cote. I enjoyed reading it again and again. Unforeseenly, noticing the message letter of the author on the last page of the book last year, lately realizing that it's a true story that's incredibly surprising and amazing. Therefore, it's a motivational and inspiring story to me as a hopeless woman in terms of love life. Now I'm struggling to search for that author on Google, hoping that I can search for her and her story on our sites.
Mailab(⁠✿⁠ ⁠♡⁠‿⁠♡⁠)
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Mailab wrote: 09 May 2023, 22:03 Past 5 years, when I was 20 that time, I discovered a book entitled Never Alone by Lynn Cote. I enjoyed reading it again and again. Unforeseenly, noticing the message letter of the author on the last page of the book last year, lately realizing that it's a true story that's incredibly surprising and amazing. Therefore, it's a motivational and inspiring story to me as a hopeless woman in terms of love life. Now I'm struggling to search for that author on Google, hoping that I can search for her and her story on our sites.
Thanks for the recommendation! I think I might have found the author and her books on Goodreads. Is this the book? https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/2980814
If so, she's written a lot of other books and series (114 books according to Goodreads!). I've added it to my TBR and will give it a read when I'm in the mood for something wholesome and uplifting :)
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I recently read a book for review for OBC that was surprisingly fun and delightful called Hattie Vavaseur by Rebecca Wildsmith. It’s a unique mix of genres that has a little of everything - old school murder mystery with a supernatural twist, humor and romance. Lots of fun!
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
PAMELA MUGENI
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading:
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by PAMELA MUGENI »

No greater love by Danielle steel
Left me wanting to read it again and again
How the Titanic sank. And the after math of the whole episode. Everybody who survived the tragedy was never the same again

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”