Recommendations on Sci-fi/Fantasy books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
LeCurtis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Recommendations on Sci-fi/Fantasy books

Post by LeCurtis »

There’s two main genres of literature I spend most of my time in and it’s Sci-fi and Fantasy.

For Sci-fi I’m mostly looking at space opera like books similar to Dune by Frank Herbert, Rules of Redemption by T. A. White, and Red Rising by Pierce Brown. I like the space/ground combat as well as intrigue and romance. I’ve limited experience in this area as not many caught my eye.

For Fantasy I’m looking for books similar to Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas as well as Sheepfarmers Daughter by Elizabeth Moon. I really like the world building and magic of the first two as well as the drama/intrigue but for the last one I really liked the in-depth descriptions of a person going off to war in a mercenary band and progression through their career/life, and I wouldn’t mind if there was a romantic subplot. I’ve tried to find others like this but the closest I can find are mostly web or light novels and tend to veer of from being realistic and entertaining at some point.

I enjoy romance being a decent part of the plot but it is definitely not something I want taking over a book all the time.

Some other fantasy novels I’ve enjoyed include:
Sweep of the Blade by Ilona Andrews
The Pariah by Anthony Ryan
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter
The Magicians Guild by Trudi Canavan
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Herb Witch by Elizabeth McCoy

This is my first time asking for recommendations myself so I hope you’ll also give me some suggestions on how to better frame these types of requests.
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

For Space Opera Sci-Fi:
1. "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey: This is the first book in the "Expanse" series, which follows a crew of spaceship operators caught in a conspiracy that threatens the solar system. It features space exploration, political intrigue, and a touch of romance.

2. "Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie: Set in a future where an empire dominates the galaxy, the story follows an AI who once controlled an entire starship. It explores themes of identity, revenge, and power struggles, with a unique perspective.

3. "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers: This character-driven space opera follows a diverse crew of humans and aliens as they embark on a perilous journey. It delves into themes of friendship, found family, and cultural exploration.

For Fantasy with World-Building, Magic, and Intrigue:
1. "The Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson: This epic fantasy series begins with "The Way of Kings" and features intricate world-building, complex magic systems, and interwoven storylines. It explores themes of honor, power, and redemption.

2. "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch: Set in a vividly described city-state reminiscent of Renaissance Venice, this book follows a group of talented thieves known as the Gentlemen Bastards. It combines intricate schemes, political intrigue, and thrilling heists.

3. "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss: This captivating story follows Kvothe, a renowned musician and magician, as he recounts his extraordinary life. It features detailed world-building, a unique magic system, and a touch of romance.

4. "The Broken Empire" series by Mark Lawrence: Starting with "Prince of Thorns," this dark fantasy series follows the journey of Prince Jorg Ancrath, a ruthless and morally ambiguous protagonist seeking power and revenge. It explores themes of survival, ambition, and sacrifice.
You can also try

For Space Opera Sci-Fi:
1. "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey: This is the first book in the "Expanse" series, which follows a crew of spaceship operators caught in a conspiracy that threatens the solar system. It features space exploration, political intrigue, and a touch of romance.

2. "Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie: Set in a future where an empire dominates the galaxy, the story follows an AI who once controlled an entire starship. It explores themes of identity, revenge, and power struggles, with a unique perspective.

3. "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers: This character-driven space opera follows a diverse crew of humans and aliens as they embark on a perilous journey. It delves into themes of friendship, found family, and cultural exploration.

For Fantasy with World-Building, Magic, and Intrigue:
1. "The Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson: This epic fantasy series begins with "The Way of Kings" and features intricate world-building, complex magic systems, and interwoven storylines. It explores themes of honor, power, and redemption.

2. "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch: Set in a vividly described city-state reminiscent of Renaissance Venice, this book follows a group of talented thieves known as the Gentlemen Bastards. It combines intricate schemes, political intrigue, and thrilling heists.

3. "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss: This captivating story follows Kvothe, a renowned musician and magician, as he recounts his extraordinary life. It features detailed world-building, a unique magic system, and a touch of romance.

4. "The Broken Empire" series by Mark Lawrence: Starting with "Prince of Thorns," this dark fantasy series follows the journey of Prince Jorg Ancrath, a ruthless and morally ambiguous protagonist seeking power and revenge. It explores themes of survival, ambition, and sacrifice.
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I noticed you didn’t mention Fourth Wing, which had me super invested. Also for fantasy, I loved the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, starting with A Discovery Of Witches.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”