Hemingway rec for special 18th b'day gift

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
westendrun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Hemingway rec for special 18th b'day gift

Post by westendrun »

Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum, but I hope I can get some help. My son is turning 18 soon and I'd like to buy him a special book. His teacher recommended Great Expectations, but I want to get him something that is connected to me.
I'm in my 60's now, but when I was younger I read, and loved, all of Hemingway. My son has been rapidly developing intellectually, he loves poetry, he loves analyzing books and poetry, he loves symbolism.

Unfortunately, I don't really remember enough about the Hemingway books individually, and I don't have time to re-read them all again.

He recently read Snows of Kilimanjaro and loved it, but then he read Up in Michigan and didn't like it at all. He felt that Kilimanjaro had more depth and symbolism, and Michigan read more like a factual description.

I would like to give him a special copy of a Hemingway novel, maybe at least a leather-bound, high quality printing, if available. I definitely won't be able to afford a first edition or signed copy.

Based on the minimal information I provided about his loving Snows of Kilimanjaro and not liking Up in Michigan, does anyone care to make suggestions on which novel that might appeal to him? I loved them all, but he's much pickier and judgmental than I was. I forget which novels had more depth and lasting appeal.
Sorry to be so vague, but I would truly appreciate any ideas.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”