Pessimistic books recommendations

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Danna Vergara
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Diary
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danna-vergara.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

Pessimistic books recommendations

Post by Danna Vergara »

Hi, I'd like to read some pessimistic books now that I'm feeling tired of those motivational authors.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

By pessimistic do you mean non-fiction books that talk about bad things happening, or fiction books where only bad things happen?
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

If you haven't already read it, 'Candide' by Voltaire is a classic work that satirizes the optimistic philosophy that suggests we live in the 'best of all possible worlds.'
'All is for the best, in the best of all possible worlds.'
It is a great read indeed.
Great-minds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-great-minds.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Great-minds »

The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath
A semi-autobiographical novel that provides a bleak portrayal of mental illness and societal expectations.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

Danna Vergara wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 23:18 Hi, I'd like to read some pessimistic books now that I'm feeling tired of those motivational authors.
Can I ask what exactly you mean by a pessimistic book?
Ceildric
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

As others point out, it's not clear if you're looking for fiction or non-fiction recommendations, or perhaps both.

As far as fiction goes, I would recommend Bret Easton Ellis' books, particularly Less than Zero and American Psycho. While they are probably more accurately called nihilist, one can certainly walk away with a feeling of pessimism for the state of humanity. They do a wonderful job of capturing and dramatizing certain cultural trends which, in some ways, have only gotten worse since the time of original publication.

I think the H.P. Lovecraft's work also can be taken as often pessimistic, as his stories frequently feature individuals confronting horrors that are horrific, not because they are morally evil, but because they are so beyond human comprehension. Lovecraft was troubled most of his life by a crushing awareness of how small humanity's place in the universe is.

As far as non-fiction, I would start with the works of Arthur Schopenhauer.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”