Books You Would Recommend

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
BlameSunshine
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blamesunshine.html

Books You Would Recommend

Post by BlameSunshine »

Hello everyone,
I am always seeking a new book to read. Does anyone have any good horror/paranormal or dystopia type books they would recommend? I also really like fiction books about drug addicts or people who face really difficult issues (i.e: almost any of Ellen Hopkins' books). If anyone of you could point me in the direction of something along those lines, that would be great!
Rguada83

Post by Rguada83 »

I have a book in mind that has stuck with me for over a decade. It's titled "The Only Alien on The Planet". It's was written for a younger audience but like "The Giver" it truly satiates. The author is Kristen D. Randall. Enjoy!
-Rachel
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Since you said "I also really like fiction books about drug addicts or people who face really difficult issues", I would recommend All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews or The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. Both great books about people facing difficult situations.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Gabs_cool123

Post by Gabs_cool123 »

I would recommend Dan Wells, I Don't Want To Kill You. It has paranormal aspects just like demons and the main character is a a diagnosed sociopath who is breaking almost/all the rules he made for himself to kill the demon, which caused him to release the monster residing in him. There is a lot of struggle for him to fight against his dark urges, but there is more of that in the sequel, Mr. Monster
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is a highly recommended book by most people in the horror genre, as well as It by Stephen King. I can't wait to read these babies.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
HSpence87
Currently Reading: Cut
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by HSpence87 »

I would recommend “Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood”. It resonated with me big time. The author is Koren Zailckas.
ClaZig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clazig.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ClaZig »

When I read about what you were looking for, I could only think of one single book: "The Angel's Game", by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Have you ever heard of it? Zafon masters the paranormal/ mystery combination. The protagonist undergoes many personal challenges in life and is extremely complex.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

If you like drug addict books try out The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. It is written in the form of a diary and has comments throughout from other people.
Jroma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jroma »

I would try the Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie. It's a dystopian society that becomes slowly unraveled as a young woman comes of age and notices things that were hidden to her before. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole series!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

For horror genre,non other than Stephan King's novels
Richhh13

Post by Richhh13 »

The Deep by Alma Katsu is a great thriller that has a very deep and intriguing storyline. There are so many twists and turns that make it hard to stop reading or listening. I listened to this book for free on a free trial from audible from amazon from this link my friend sent me. I listened to it while I was working and getting chores around the house done.
Maesondahl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maesondahl.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maesondahl »

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara is by far one of the greatest novels I've ever read. It deals with a character whose whole life is filled with tragedy and pain. It's a fantastic story about love and friendship and the struggles others go through that we have no idea about.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

Dystopian Novel - 1984 by George Orwell
Fiction about drug addicts - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Please recommend a good book for reading forever.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

William Forstchen has a great dystopian trilogy. It takes place in modern America when China sets off several EMPs over many states. Suddenly the electricity is gone and everyone must learn how to survive.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”