Looking for great books by female authors

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Sh3rW1
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Chronicles of Nick
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherica-wilson.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Re: Looking for great books by female authors

Post by Sh3rW1 »

I just read Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas and it was very enjoyable. I enjoy books written by J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Colleen Hoover, and J.D Robb
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

If you would like to read about feminisms, especially Black feminism which is still not very widely taught in many colleges, I would suggest you get into anything by bell hooks, Angela Y Davis and Patricia Hill Collins. On intersectionality check Kimberle Crenshaw… I hope this helps. You are on a wonderful journey to question knowledge production.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

Sarah J mass books, Classic books by Jane Austen or Virginia Wolff.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

If you're into fantasy and science fiction you should try Ursula K. Le Guin and Octavia Butler.

Mary Shelley and Jane Austen are great fun.

But there's an entire universe of excellent books written by women.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

there are so many out there
Here's a quick list
Angela Davis
Toni Morrison
bell hooks for nonfiction
Ursula K Le Guin for sci Fi
Dianne Wynne Jones
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Abu Daré
Susanna Clarke

Best of luck
I Like Fiction Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-like-fiction-books.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by I Like Fiction Books »

- Leigh Bardugo (great fantasy world and character-building)
- Madeline L’Engle (great space/time travel concepts and good if you want a complicated plot)
- Tamara Ireland Snow has a great book (Ever, Last, Word) it is about a girl with OCD and is set in high school.
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

Female authors! I always catch myself being more literarily inclined towards them since I connect to their writing styles well. One of my favourites is 'The Forest of Enchantments' by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, based on the Indian Mythological epic called Ramayana but through the eyes of the female lead- Sita. The author has also penned 'The Palace of Illusions' based on another Indian epic called Mahabharata, in the pov of its female lead, Draupadi and although I haven't read it yet, it does have good reviews.
"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-roald dahl
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

This isn’t a very popular book but I would recommend “Hero/Villain” by Amanda Bear Aina.
ashlee tremaine
Currently Reading: The Hunger
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ashlee tremaine »

Honestly, there are so many. It just depends on what genre or what vibe you're looking for. If you want something that feels classical and leans into some of the mythology that others have drawn on for centuries, I'd suggest anything by Madeline Miller. I enjoyed Circe most, but it is definitely a slow burn through the exploration of femininity and motherhood. Along that same vein, The Witch's Heart by Genevieve Gornichec left me feeling gutted. It is such a beautiful and heartbreaking take on motherhood told through Norse Mythology. Those two left me speechless.

If you like historical fiction, I will forever suggest anything by Michelle Moran. I am particularly fond of Nefertiti, but Cleopatra's Daughter and Madame Tussaud are also amazing.

Horror also features a surprising number of really great female writers. The Hacienda by Isabel Canas has been wildly popular over the past couple of years - and for good reason. That story is wonderful and it features some really terrifying scenes and some beautifully written interactions with a local priest. Darcy Coates is also a great horror writer. Even though some of her stories end up being a little hokey, they are written in a way that catches attention and doesn't let you walk away. I would definitely suggest Hunted, but many of her gothic novels are also very catchy. Christina Henry also wrote a really great narrative on monsters of many kinds in Near the Bone, but it is not quite as good as the others I've mentioned. And, of course, no list of female horror is complete without Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

For fantasy, I'd probably suggest Throne of Glass or A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. I personally preferred Throne of Glass, but both are wildly popular and have huge followings online. Raven Kennedy also wrote a pretty great fantasy romance with the Plated Prisoner series, but that is a dark romance that definitely isn't for everyone. It deals with some pretty difficult topics and deals with what it means to be a woman in a world that just isn't set up for your benefit.

This is in no way a complete list. There are hundreds of popular and/or very artful female authors. You just have to know where to look.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
Leading with Empathy by Jacinda Ardern
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I enjoy books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Jodi Picoult. Chimamanda books have inspired me as a woman to go for what I want and believe in. I love the suspense in Jodi's books.
Oluwatobilola Olu-awe
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatobilola-olu-awe.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

Post by Oluwatobilola Olu-awe »

Some of my favorites
Harry Potter
Everything everything
Six of crows
Acotar series
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

Margaret of Austria: Regent of the Netherlands (1953) by Jane de Longh. Very personal account of Margaret's life as a French Queen, her betrayal by the French King, rise as a regent to France's enemies (then the Holy Roman Empire), fall at the hands of her own political game and betrayal by her own father, and rise again by her nephew, the man she devoted her whole adult life to in order to secure his rise as the next emperor (Charles V) at her personal happiness. She went as far as to avoid remarrying after her husband died (despite her being courted countless times as daughter to the emperor, Maximilian I) as to ensure her nephew became emperor and not the French king (she was devoted to the line of Habsburg emperors to a fault some would say).

A very intimate book that goes into every detail of her life (both her late husbands, lost children, etc.), as the author really paints Margaret with a clear undertone throughout, as you can tell the author was writing to women (and not men). She skips over battles in quick paragraphs but spends countless pages and even whole chapters on the most private and personal details of Margaret's life. It is very in-depth and a great read.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Sillyhilly2286
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sillyhilly2286 »

Love Jodi Picoult , JK rouling, Janet Evanovich (Stephanie plum series)
Gator Rock
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gator Rock »

If you don't mind a book series that can be classified as YA fantasy, I would really recommend the Beka Cooper series by Tamora Pierce. Tamora does a wonderful job at flushing out her characters in a realistic and endearing way, and she does some excellent world building. Romance isn't the main focus of these but there are some elements to it (that are queer friendly too!). It's largely a mixture of adventure, mystery, and fantasy that plays out in these books very well.

Beka is the lead in in all of the books thus far, and I found it was nice that she wasn't over the top girly or stereotypical, but she isn't "just trying to be a guy" or veering into the other side of those stereotypes. She feels like an actual person you could meet and not a walking charactcature. It's refreshing and all friendships are meaningful in these books as well. Hope this helps! :D

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”