17 y/o high school student, looking for easy to read book recommendations to get into reading

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Reese Bell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon 17 y/o high school student, looking for easy to read book recommendations to get into reading

Post by Reese Bell »

Hello :tiphat: , I am a 17 year old high school student who is looking to get into reading. I'll be honest and say I haven't ever read much at all in my life. Only a handful of people I know do (that's most of Gen Z anyway). My parents don't read and use their phones a lot. I don't own a phone since I try to keep away from social media but my internet usage is still unhealthy. There's a lot you can learn off the internet however a majority of time is spent unproductively. Covid lockdowns took a lot away from me in terms of my education and worsening mental health. My mid-teens were wasted doing nothing. I feel more like a 14 year old than I do an adult since I am still making up for that lost time, nowhere near ready. In retrospect, I regret having not used that time over lockdown to have picked up a new skill or better myself. But I was younger, and for what was supposed to be a two week holiday became two years.

Recently I have been working on self-improvement. I go to a small state school and the school library has two shelves of dull torn up books from the '90s. No new books are being added since it's getting knocked down. I try to live my life as moral and disciplined as possible but always feel like I'm four steps behind. My main goal and NY resolution for 2023 is to pick up the skill of reading. There is a bigger book section in the S6 common area, however that's mainly for Advanced Higher English essays and is far above my current reading level. The only author I know out of their selection is Fyodor Dostoevsky since my friend raves on about him. I've always excelled in English and I got an A in 4th year. Literature-based subjects are my strength and I am wanting to build upon that.

Please if possible could someone provide me with some easy to read books for those getting into reading? Nothing too complicated but still enjoyable. I like history, video games, films, languages/cultures, general self-improvement, and I am a (Eastern Orthodox Catechumen) Christian. I am not very smart so I don't know much about books or things in general.

Don't use the internet much outside of YouTube but I figured this would be the best website to ask since specialized forums have the best answers. All recommendations are much appreciated. Thank you. :D

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”