Looking For A Book Recommendation

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Doug4506
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking For A Book Recommendation

Post by Doug4506 »

Hi,

I am Doug from Pittsburgh. I hope I am posting this request for help in the right place. I am looking for suggestions on a new book(s) to read. I like fiction with meaning and some depth. Pat Conroy and John Irving are my favorite authors. I also like John Grisham. Some of my favorite books have been The Prince of Tides and also the Book Of Ruth. I also loved John Grisham's A Painted House. Thank you for your suggestions! :D
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Can i recommend the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson? They are 3 excellent and gripping books about a Swedish hacker/spy who teams up with an investigative journalist to expose corruption and the legality of the Sato, the Swedish splinter group. Masterpieces, in my opinion.
You only live once.....so live!
Proxious

Post by Proxious »

never have read Stieg Larsson will try out soon
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

For depth I would recommend anything by Dostoevsky.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
bluefoxicy

Post by bluefoxicy »

Doug4506 wrote:I like fiction with meaning and some depth.
All well-written fiction has some meaning. However I meditate a lot and I can expand a single sentence from Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei into a whole dissertation. Even my base writing embodies my ideals.

However, for the deep stuff, read Shibumi by Trevanian. Especially if you are not a Japanese Samurai. Much is said in there with meaning, and many philosophical ideas are presented. For example, westerners are not exactly able to understand the difference between a soldier and a warrior; they can get the topics and academically discuss it, but understanding escapes them.

This is something I've always been unaffected by... guess that's why I don't fit in well. Shibumi was one of those books that for me put into words what I already knew but couldn't explain. The concept of a warrior-- not just as far as "The Bushido Code," but the more general concept of a man with ideals and deep-seated personal philosophy that he actually understands or strives to understand--is one thing that was finally defined to me by reading this book. I cite this specifically because I've always had ideals of my own-- "never kill" is a nice thought, but sometimes infeasible; but that doesn't excuse you if it comes down to a bar fight. My training in Aikido exposed me to O-Sensei's philosophy, which started to give shape to things I couldn't express; reading Shibumi tipped in just enough for me to finally grasp what it is I was trying to form. The short of it is there is more to the warrior's philosophy than what to do when faced with a violent attacker, and exactly what was what I was trying so hard to grasp onto.

On a lesser scale, Donaldson's writing (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant) and Chadbourn's (Age of Misrule) were just epic fantasy; but they taught me several things. Unearned knowledge is at best worthless; at worst dangerous. The truly strong recognize their own failure (something Covenant said in Against All Things Ending). I could go on for ages with Donaldson explaining that last one.

Ancient Awakening, Deepgate Codex, The Heretic ... these were interesting stories. But if you ask me what philosophy they embodied... I'd say I'm not tolerant of stretching so far as to dig that out of them at best. Sure you can find SOMETHING in anything; but a crude man might say these are worthless entertainment. I would recommend Age of Misrule and then The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and even The Gap Cycle-- and I think The Gap Cycle is the best of these as a story, even though I'd distance it last in this list-- before I would recommend these other things. I would lump Harry Potter with these in that respect-- I enjoy Harry Potter, but I don't think it's a philosophy treasure chest by any stretch.

So to summarize:

Definitely read Shibumi. Right now.

Look into Age of Misrule and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, in that order.

Possibly The Gap Cycle. It will at least wow you as a story, if you can handle reading it.

I assume you've seen Ender's Game etc ... I'm not a huge fan of Card, I lost interest because it's too dense and dry and poorly written.
Marbot

Post by Marbot »

Why don't you read Give Me Yesterday by Babs Odugbesan. He's an unknown author but I came across this book and enjoyed every single bit of it.
Christine Benedict

Post by Christine Benedict »

i loved "Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan,
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

I recommend the Nadia Stafford trilogy by Kelley Armstrong. Its about an ex-cop who crossed the line on the job and now she owns a lodge near a small town. She's also a hired killer who only takes vilalante jobs. I also recommend Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville series it's about a girl whose lived a well off life till she finds out she's adopted. Her biological parents are convicted serial killers locked away for a crime they say they didn't commit. Now she's on the case.
Purple Empress
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Purple Empress »

"The Magician King" by Lev Grossman is one of the best books I have ever read.
It's a brilliant mix of magic and reality, sort of a bit like Narnia, but more for adults.
Xmichellem
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xmichellem.html

Post by Xmichellem »

A series of fiction books that carry some depth are "The Walk" series by Richard Paul Evans. The story is about a man who sets out to walk from Seattle to Florida after a tragedy occurs in his life. It really makes you ponder life, faith, loss and grief. Truly it captures what we as humans are capable of once we set our minds on our dreams. It is very touching and keeps you wanting to know more. I am loving this series.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”