Does anyone have a good suggestion for a 9 year old?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
colorsparkle
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorsparkle.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Re: Does anyone have a good suggestion for a 9 year old?

Post by colorsparkle »

One of my favorites when I was that age was The Giver!
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Michael Morpurgo writes beautiful books for a range of ages. Some of his books will be suitable for 9 year olds, and they’re great ‘read together’ books.
sarahbooks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarahbooks »

I loved the Magic Treehouse books by Mary Pope Osbourne. The series seems to be never ending, so if it's a hit, there are always more to read. They were fun and easy enough to read enjoyably. They also teach a history and/or cultural lesson. Great for young boys or girls who want to learn to love reading!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The Charlie Bone series is a good one. If you're including comics L'il Gotham is great for kids.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

The Beast Quest books are a good shout. They are a lovely long series of books and my brother loved them when he was younger. He loved both reading them and collecting them.
semisweetchip

Post by semisweetchip »

Hi! Great idea to do for your son!

Depending on what he likes, a few more "uncommon" suggestions:
-The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris d'Lacey. It follows a young man who discovers clay dragon statues that come to life in his home. If I recall correctly, it's a pretty funny series (the dragons are pocket-sized and mischievous). (Although it sounds like your son may be a bit above this reading level)
-The Warriors Series by Erin Hunter. There are a TON of these books. They aren't too long and they are about (stick with me here) 4 groups of cats living in a forest. The cats are in "clans" and each have a leader. In the first series, we follow a cat who previously lived as a housecat and decides to join a "clan". I adored these as a child (and just recently picked them up as an adult, to see if they were as good as I remembered. I was pleasantly surprised).
-The Tale of the Swamp Rat by Carter Crocker. This book may classify as one he wouldn't pick up on his own. It's a very charming story about a young rat who befriends a very old crocodile. The crocodile teaches him about life in The Great Swamp.
-Holes by Louis Sachar. It's a really interesting book about some young boys in a bizarre situation. What I loved about it is that it weaved together stories from multiple periods of time, and how things are interconnected. Sachar also has the "Wayside Stories" books, which are a very fun, silly books.
-Frindle by Andrew Clements. Such a funny story. It discusses the power of words and language.
-Hoot by Carl Hiaasen. This one is more of a mystery novel, but it also touches on themes of friendship. It's about a group of friends trying to save some owls.

Others have mentioned The Magic Treehouse and Percy Jackson. Both are excellent.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

talubi42 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 08:58 i and my little sister love diary of wimpy kid and we are looking for more of it
Yes! I recommend as well loved it!! :tiphat:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

EvelynBlake wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 16:46 Hi! :-) I have decided to start a new tradition - to give books on Christmas Eve. I saw a meme about it a couple of years ago and thought it sounded fun.

I'd like to use it as an opportunity to introduce my son to books that we will enjoy reading together, but he might not necessarily pick up himself.

We have read The Hobbit, Harry Potter, His Dark Material, How to Train Your Dragon, Narnia and most of the Edge Chronicles.
What can I pick next?
That sounds like a wonderful tradition. When I was that age I loved:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - An adventure, very fun and imaginative. And then you can watch the movie(s) together!
Captain Underpants - Pure humor, lots of laughs!

Hope you and your son enjoy! :)
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I agree with an above poster about Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl".

And will personally recommend "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Patterson.
Cat Kitty

Post by Cat Kitty »

Hello! For a nine year old,I would honestly suggest any Geronimo Stilton book! It's a really great series and I think he'll like it a lot!
Stark122333

Post by Stark122333 »

Go for geronimo stilton series or arthur conan Doyle 's sherlock holmes series..and if still an urge to read more persists then i think wizard of oz is a good classic to read
luxx0715

Post by luxx0715 »

“A Christmas Tale” by Geronimo Stilton was my favorite and “A Very Merry Christmas” by Geronimo Stilton both are mystery and such a good story for the Christmas time and they also got halloween series too! I think he would really like them, these books are mystery and adventurous and enjoyable to read.
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

Hello! I would recommend the following:

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
The Thief Lord (super loved this)
Any book of Rick Riordan
The Little Prince
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

While you are focusing on those, also check out real world stuffs like geography of the world and how stuff works kind of books. It helps their little minds to appreciate the world too.
chaugeen
Currently Reading: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Bookshelf Size: 1326

Post by chaugeen »

Save Me a Seat. It’s about a pair of unlikely friends who find each other after being bullied. My whole family - kids and adults alike - love it.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”