I need a new sci-fi fantasy favourite!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

I need a new sci-fi fantasy favourite!

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I'm looking for sci-fi fantasy book recommendations for someone who loved the Harry Potter series, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, and everything by Brandon Sanderson!
I love reading about well created worlds or any sort of well thought out magic system :)
Steekira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steekira.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Steekira »

Maybe Artemis Fowl? If you liked Harry Potter, that's kind of in a similar vein. I've only finished the first book in the series, but what I've read I adored. My husband read the entire series. He claims it can be a little "preachy" about its environmentalism themes, but is overall a decent series with interesting characters.
Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Eteru »

I think you should consider reading the Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

The Shannara Chronicles by Terry Brooks, The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony, The Dark Elf Trilogy (this became a much larger series than just the original trilogy) by R.A. Salvatore, Ender's Game Trilogy by Orson Scott Card. Honestly, I could list tons. If you try any of these, let me know how you like them.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

"The Knife of Never Letting Go" or "The Colour of Magic." are both amazing for fantasy world building.
Brendafaye
Currently Reading: You Are Not Alone
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendafaye.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Brendafaye »

The Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz is great!
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

This is a somewhat obscure fantasy series that I found at a used bookstore: The Stormlord Trilogy by Glenda Larke (first book is The Last Stormlord). It uses a magic system that primarily revolves around water and storms because of the desert setting and water shortages in the land. The main characters are a village outcast who has to leave his home and a slave who escaped a life as a courtesan. As a fan of Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, I highly recommend these books!!
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I read and loved the Harry Potter series and Game Of Thrones series. I plan to read the wheel of time. After I finished reading GOT, I was searching for an equally good fantasy book. That's when I read the Assasin's apprentice, book one of the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I like it better than game of thrones now. Give it a try, you won't regret it.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I would highly recommend the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Amazing series, so in depth, well written and the world building is fantastic. I've also enjoyed the Diablo book series (if you have ever played the game) the books are quite good especially the ones by Richard A Knakk. Also, Piers Anthony, Mercedes Lackey, James Mallory, Troy Game series by Sara Douglass,
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
Lydia Matson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Odyssey
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-matson.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lydia Matson »

I'd recommend the 100 Cupboards trilogy and The Dark is Rising. Both are very similar to Harry Potter or Brandon Sanderson (I am also a Sanderson fan!), but they are lesser known. I think you'd enjoy them!
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

Try Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington, I'm sure you'll love it.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

What a great list for myself to work on as well!
I will add Mistborn add my contribution. I'm working on book two....
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Anything and everything by Raymond E. Feist. All his trilogies are set in the same two worlds years apart from each other. The characters in one trilogy are the grandchildren of the characters in the first trilogy. The characters in one trilogy end up becoming influential in the kingdom and help fight the evils that plagued / still plague the characters from the first and second trilogies. Absolute genius writer!
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

Since you mentioned Game of Thrones and well-thought-out magic systems, you should try The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss if you haven't already. There is a sequel to it also titled The Wise Man's Fear. I enjoyed both of those books by Patrick Rothfuss, they were so fascinating.

Another one with a good magic system is A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin.

You also mentioned the Harry Potter series - in that case, you may like The Lightning Thief series by Rick Riordan.
pastorlarry
Favorite Author: E.E. Isherwood
Currently Reading: First Wave
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 84150

Post by pastorlarry »

Glen Cook's The Black Company series!!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”