Overall Opinion and Thoughts about Orphan Train

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Overall Opinion and Thoughts about Orphan Train

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

The Orphan Train was the first BOTM that I have actively particiapted in, and I am really glad I did so. I truly enjoyed this book, and would highly recommend it to anyone else. Definitely would give it a 4 out of 4. It is such a touching story. I had no idea that the orphan trains were real, so I am glad the author decided to include some of the historical information at the end to educate on that.

Reading about Molly was terrible, because from her standpoint in 2011, it's sad to think that there are still children that are passed around from foster home to foster home at this day in time.

Reading from Vivian's life time, I was so horrified at some of the situations that she would be placed in. And it was very hard to read that the adults in her life, the ones who placed her in these homes to give her protection, didn't even believe her when it came down to it.

Both women in the book are very strong characters. If the book didn't have the graphic scenese (sexual abuse) I would think it would be great to be included in a history class.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

klbradley wrote: Both women in the book are very strong characters. If the book didn't have the graphic scenese (sexual abuse) I would think it would be great to be included in a history class.

I would think it would be appropriate for upper high school but perhaps as an option rather than a requirement when studying that time period.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kourtney Bradley

CatInTheHat wrote:
klbradley wrote: Both women in the book are very strong characters. If the book didn't have the graphic scenese (sexual abuse) I would think it would be great to be included in a history class.

I would think it would be appropriate for upper high school but perhaps as an option rather than a requirement when studying that time period.

Agreed. Usually for any of my previous high school classes with a reading assignment, we were given a few options to choose from.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

klbradley wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:

Agreed. Usually for any of my previous high school classes with a reading assignment, we were given a few options to choose from.
I don't know about you guys, but when I think of some of the books I read in high school English classes (The Color Purple, for example), I think this book was actually pretty tame.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Kourtney Bradley

braver wrote:
klbradley wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but when I think of some of the books I read in high school English classes (The Color Purple, for example), I think this book was actually pretty tame.

You are so right. I actually read The Catcher in the Rye for my sophomore English class, and I don't remember thinking it was all that bad. But actually as of last night I started to read through it again, and I'm very surprised at the language use and how that was allowed. So I guess this one wouldn't be all that scandalous for school age now. More than anything, it would probably shine some light on how fortunate some are and how they take that for granted.
–Vera Nazarian
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

braver wrote:
Sometimes it's hard to remember that far back :D
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I just finished this book, and I think it was very well researched and written. I haven't decided who my favorite character is--although Molly is someone I really liked. She had an interesting combination of acting older than she was at times, and not knowing what to do in some situations. Actually I think that's pretty common--we behave and make decisions based on what we have experienced, and can get confused based on what we haven't experienced. For me, this was 4 out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Loved, Laughed, Cried! 4 Stars.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Jojowrites4All wrote:Loved, Laughed, Cried! 4 Stars.
This story really did bring in a variety of emotions.
Diane B
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Diane B »

I enjoyed reading this book and learning about orphan trains. Here in Canada we had something similar: "Home Children."

"Between 1869 and the late 1930s, over 100,000 juvenile migrants were sent to Canada from the British Isles during the child emigration movement.... families welcomed them as a source of cheap farm labour and domestic help....Although many of the children were poorly treated and abused, others experienced a better life here than if they had remained in the urban slums of England."

I really enjoyed reading the book, until Vivian met up with Dutchy again- a little too contrived - a big romantic reunion after 10 years, with only a couple days on the train tog. as kids....?? anyway. And then Vivian doing what she did - her big bombshell in the story? It just didn't seem plausible, but then it was a different time, and Vivian was probably shell-shocked....? I liked the addition of Molly, which made the book a little different from just another "rags to riches" story.
JPellegrini
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpellegrini.html

Post by JPellegrini »

Shortly after starting this book, it quickly became one of my all-time favorites. I enjoyed meeting the characters and I thought it was beautifully written. I never once thought to myself "OK, just keep reading, maybe it will get better." It never felt like a forced read. Instead, I had a hard time putting it down.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

CatInTheHat wrote:I was already familiar with the actual orphan trains. I was pleased with the accuracy of the historical facts in the story. Often, those get mucked up. Both of the main characters, Vivian and Molly, felt very real to me. There were so many tear jerking moments in the story. I couldn't put it down, which is always a good sign of a good book!
WOW! I'd never even heard of the concept of an "orphan train" until I saw this was a book of the month and all of the comments here... This one was extra appreciated - that the book is accurate in its depiction of history. I love a good historical fiction book, and while it seems somewhat torn between it being fantastic and just okay, the fact that this is something I'd never even heard about definitely has me interested in the book!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

CataclysmicKnight wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:I was already familiar with the actual orphan trains. I was pleased with the accuracy of the historical facts in the story. Often, those get mucked up. Both of the main characters, Vivian and Molly, felt very real to me. There were so many tear jerking moments in the story. I couldn't put it down, which is always a good sign of a good book!
WOW! I'd never even heard of the concept of an "orphan train" until I saw this was a book of the month and all of the comments here... This one was extra appreciated - that the book is accurate in its depiction of history. I love a good historical fiction book, and while it seems somewhat torn between it being fantastic and just okay, the fact that this is something I'd never even heard about definitely has me interested in the book!
Have you read "Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence" by Doris Pilkington? It's about aboriginal girls who are sort of orphans and their stories. I found a lot of connections with it and the orphan train stories.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

CatInTheHat wrote:
CataclysmicKnight wrote:
Have you read "Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence" by Doris Pilkington? It's about aboriginal girls who are sort of orphans and their stories. I found a lot of connections with it and the orphan train stories.
I sure haven't, but now I'm going to have to look into those as well! I was thinking of going to a library in the next couple of days (especially one that's a Pokestop!) and it'll be cool to go in with a few books to look for! :tiphat:
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I didn't think I wouls get as invested in this book as I did! It was very interesting learning about the orphan train and I think the author did a great job expressing Niamh's fear and uncertainty throughout the whole book. I was rooting for her to reunite with Dutchy throughout the whole book, but when they did I felt their relationship came on a little too hard and fast...but I still was happy they had found one another. I would definitely recommend this book, it has a decent balance of heart break and hope.

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”