Whose story line did you like best and why?

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Whose story line did you like best and why?

Post by KAV »

I like Vivian's story better because I felt it was more detailed and emotional. I kept looking forward to her chapters and found Molly's chapters kind of boring and lack luster. I also found that Dina was pretty annoying in Molly's story line. I'm sure fostering teenagers is difficult, but I think she needed to be a little more supportive. I mean she did agree to foster children. Kids are bound to have issues being bounced around from house to house. Although stealing an old book is still wrong its not like Molly was starting fires or killing animals.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I totally agree. I felt that Molly's storyline was more of a plot device to connect the Orphan Train plot to the present, and didn't shine like Vivian's story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

I'm in agreement with bookowlie and KAV. Molly's story lacked the drama and engagement that Niamh's story had. Perhaps this was necessarily so? I too was annoyed by Dina's character. She seemed overly immature to have chosen to be a foster parent. Yes, there are foster parents who decide to take children into their home solely for the money involved, but Dina's obvious disgust for Molly and her overall antagonistic behavior seemed over the top.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

:ditto:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Lulubelle
Currently Reading: The Moth Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Lulubelle »

I agree with all the above. I think Molly was also just there for comparison e.g. Molly complaining about her lack of vegetarian options while Vivian was lucky to eat anything. I skimmed the Molly parts to get back to the main story of Vivian.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree as well. I much preferred Molly's storyline and found it more interesting.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I agree that Vivian's story was the better half of the book. Molly has had it rough and she's a teenager, meaning that some attitude is to be expected. But I found her immature and I wasn't able to understand the motivations behind some of her decisions. This is probably the reason I really didn't connect with her storyline.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoyed Vivian's story more, primarily because of the connections to our nation's history. Many people don't realize these things happened, less than a century ago. Her character was also more developed.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html

Post by KAV »

Lulubelle wrote:I agree with all the above. I think Molly was also just there for comparison e.g. Molly complaining about her lack of vegetarian options while Vivian was lucky to eat anything. I skimmed the Molly parts to get back to the main story of Vivian.
True. I didn't even make that connection, but I like the comparison. I tended to skim the Molly parts too. :)
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

bookowlie wrote:I totally agree. I felt that Molly's storyline was more of a plot device to connect the Orphan Train plot to the present, and didn't shine like Vivian's story.
Yes, definitely. Molly was a plot device to tell Vivian's story. Molly's story wouldn't stand on its own, but when you think about it in that frame of reference, I think it worked really well. I definitely agree that Dina was over the top and unbelievable - I think if she had been toned down a little it would have been even better.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

CatInTheHat wrote:I enjoyed Vivian's story more, primarily because of the connections to our nation's history. Many people don't realize these things happened, less than a century ago. Her character was also more developed.
Good point! That's why I have started enjoying historical fiction more in the past few years. I like learning about something new about different periods in history. It's certainly more interesting to learn this information through a novel than a boring textbook. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I found that I enjoyed reading Vivian's story more, and looked forward reading about her chapters. I really enjoyed hearing about Vivian's life and then hearing how things would circle back around. I did enjoy reading about Molly as well, but I felt like the point of her story was to help tell Vivian's.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I liked both Molly and Vivian. The fact that they had some similar experiences was pretty interesting, considering how many years apart their ages were--I'd like to think we would improve a little over time, but it doesn't always happen.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Laura19804
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: A history of the world in 100 objects
Bookshelf Size: 610

Post by Laura19804 »

I personally think that Molly's story was put in to highlight Vivian's through its similarities and shocking differences. I know Molly's story was not as bad as some modern orphans story's could be (and I feel this is done with brilliant and deliberate thought) the fact that they had a similar past but the worst that Molly went through was that her foster mum moaned about her vegetarian diet, and gave her clothes she didn't like (and yes was annoying but not horrendous,) the contrast made vivians story sharper
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I agree with Laura19804. Molly's story seems to be there to give more of an effect to Vivian's story and have a reason for it to be told.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”