Me, Martijn a reader and writer from the Netherlands.

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
maramsp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Me, Martijn a reader and writer from the Netherlands.

Post by maramsp »

Hello all.

Before I even want to get started on the site, I thought it would be good to introduce myself first, so here we go.

I'm Martijn, born and raised in Zwolle - but now living in Almelo, Overijssel, the Netherlands - 36 and a half years ago.

I'm a long time reader, but in my youth and teenage years, most only the classical dutch "child books" (Jan Terlouw, Thea Beckman, Evert Hartman, etc etc) and here and there I've read a "Goosebumps" (in our language "Kippenvel") book.

Later around the age of 12, I completed the Lord of the Rings for the first time, but I've read it in parts by then (and still I only have managed to fully read it in one go once). And immediately after I managed my first go through the Hobbit and the Silmarillion which the latter I found the best of the bunch. Other books by Tolkien I have not read (yet).

Again, later, my ex-girlfriend, pointed me to the Sword of Truth series by the late Terry Goodkind.

His works I find the best I have ever read, cause the first 11 books on occasion made me cry, gave me goosebumps, and sucked me so much into the world, that I had the feeling I was inside that world when reading, and even while not reading, cause it was so much on my mind.

I did not finish his later works, set inside the world, yet (starting from the first confessor, going through the Richard & Kahlan series, through the Nicci chronicles, through the Children of D'hara, and ending with Law of Nines.

I knew beforehand, stuff was about to happen in the Richard & Kahlan series before the last book of said series was out, so I didnt gave it a go yet. But I know now at least how this series pan out, so lately I picked up the whole series again, and again I'm loving it, and I cannot wait untill "Into Darkness" is out in Dutch (november 30th) so I can add that to my collection.

But now something more about me.

(Removed by Mod)

Anyway.

This text is starting to become quite long already, so I will not make this a much longer read.

The only things that are left to tell, is that I'm a musician in real life ( (metal)drummer - pianist - guitarist - singer (although not that good) and i can also play a tiny little bit of both saxophone and violin), that I like to play board games as well, and that I like to play as my alter ego called Mara in both online and offline computer games.

And besides this all, (I admit i was lost typing this text, so I forgot to name it) I'm a big lover of funfairs and themeparks which I visit per train (which I also like quite much, both the train types, etc, and the traveling itself)

I travel almost every weekend to a funfair (when the season is there) or 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5 lol) and then shoot pictures, which I post online.

I dont ride many extreme attractions though, because of my stomach, but I like to be there, enjoy the atmosphere, shooting pictures, etc, etc.

And the last thing probally worth to tell is that for a living, I'm counting bats with a machine, which is needed for research when companies want to build new buildings or demolish them.

So. All in all, If you made it through the end, then I would thank you for taking the time to read this all.

Untill next time!

Greetings from Martijn Spiegelaar. (Mara)
Last edited by Gravy on 09 Nov 2021, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self promotion/mentions own book
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Welcome! :text-welcomewave: :text-welcomeconfetti:

This thread is the best place to start. :reading-4:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

:text-welcomeconfetti:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Introductions”