Children's Non-Fiction vs. Fiction based on a true story

Discuss the September 2016 Book of the Month, A Spiritual Dog: Bear by J. Wesley Porter.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Re: Children's Non-Fiction vs. Fiction based on a true story

Post by Megwe85 »

My son is 3 1/2 and he likes both. He enjoyed a book called Little Pink Pup, which was written in a similar true-story/scrapbook-style. It used photographs instead of illustrations. We read that one for months!
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Eatsleaves wrote:It would depend on the non-fiction you are talking about. This tale about Bear may be considered darker than books about Clifford, Lassie or Benji (although I wouldn't use the word "dark" to describe this book).

But there are other examples where fiction is far darker. Nat Geo books for kids are non-fiction, biographies of famous people written for children are non-fiction, how-to books on arts and crafts (or doing cool tricks), etc. Meanwhile, fiction from Edgar Allen Poe and dystopian fiction are surely darker than any of those non-fiction examples. The non-fiction topic would determine if it is darker than any given fictitious work. Both umbrella genres are so huge it would be hard to make a general statement that one is darker than the other. You know what I mean?
I didn't really think about it this way, but I know exactly what you mean. Thinking back to when I was a kid, I had these little science books that I thought were the best thing ever. They were non-fiction, but had an awesome presentation. There were fictions books that were the same way. It really is a case-by-case thing.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I don't have any children, but I feel like having pictures will help to capture a child's attention regardless of if they are real or illustrated. With a story like this one I can't help but feel like it doesn't really matter is the story is true or made up because a young child might not actually be able to tell the difference.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I can only guess at this topic, but I think children would find both accounts equally enjoyable. I think the way this book is relatable for children because of the beautiful pictures.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

AA1495 wrote:
Elaine5 wrote:My son loves non fiction and would almost always choose it over fiction. My daughter, however, loves fictional stories. My experience tells me it depends on the child!
True. Generally, do you think Non-fiction is darker than fiction? :D

I don't think that non-fiction is darker than fiction. I have read quite a few dark fiction books, but not very many dark non-fiction. I think what is dark about non-fiction is that it is real. Anything that happened in a non-fiction book actually happened in real life. So even if the content isn't actually darker, maybe it kind of is darker.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It probably just depends on the child and the quality of the pictures. My daughter likes both but the real life pictures have to be excellent and professional quality, around the house pictures lose her interest but maybe that's just because she's 3.
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green

Post by MerryLove »

As there are ample pictures in both, I would say children enjoy both. Most children enjoying learning "facts" just as much as they love hearing a "story".

Some kids really love informational books more, and some kids really love story books more. There is an equal place for both, and I wouldn't say that one is any better than the other.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

My son enjoys actual photographs in books, as well as non fiction. He is more interested in actual events that have happened and stories that are based on real life events. My daughter who is younger doesn't have a preference and enjoys both types of books equally.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I think it depends on the age and maturity of the child. My son who is 4 years old would much prefer a silly cartoon dog but my step sister who is 14 enjoyed this book. She stated, " The book was sad but it was cool to see the pictures of him."
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

MerryLove wrote:As there are ample pictures in both, I would say children enjoy both. Most children enjoying learning "facts" just as much as they love hearing a "story".

Some kids really love informational books more, and some kids really love story books more. There is an equal place for both, and I wouldn't say that one is any better than the other.
So true! Everything is so new to children and real life can be as excited as a cartoon!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I personally think that books should be a compromise between fiction and non-fiction. The story might be fictitious, with a setting of different types of emotions and experiences, but the scientific facts should be on the dot. I don't think universally accepted truths should be distorted in the name of fiction.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

sindhu75063 wrote:I personally think that books should be a compromise between fiction and non-fiction. The story might be fictitious, with a setting of different types of emotions and experiences, but the scientific facts should be on the dot. I don't think universally accepted truths should be distorted in the name of fiction.
That's a very strong point! I agree with you on this. Scientific facts and Universally accepted truths should remain, even in fiction!
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

The only books I have read to my niece and nephew have been Fiction novels and they like them.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I think kids generally like colorful drawn pictures more that photos. However, photos can also be interesting if they are clear, big and engaging.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html

Post by Tami216- »

It really depends on the kids personality whether they like fiction or non-fiction better. It's the same as adults just whatever children like is obviously going to be a more simplified version. I personally think that non-fiction is generally scarier because it's more applicable to real life so it penetrates deeper to read something scary when you know it is true.

Return to “"A Spiritual Dog: Bear" by J. Wesley Porter”