Children's Non-Fiction vs. Fiction based on a true story

Discuss the September 2016 Book of the Month, A Spiritual Dog: Bear by J. Wesley Porter.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Children's Non-Fiction vs. Fiction based on a true story

Post by bookowlie »

This story is a non-fiction account of the author's dog Bear's life in a scrapbook-style format. There are photos of the dog and the author's family with comments related to the photos.

Do children like this type of book with photos of a real dog and true experiences or do they prefer a fictional dog story with colorful illustrations?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

My children have enjoyed both types of books you describe. As far as photographs of real people, animals and things, the bigger and more detailed, the better. Illustrated books are also really enjoyable for them. When the topic of the book is something they are familiar with, like tying shoes, eating meals, going to the park, etc., photographs capture their attention. More abstract ideas, or things they are not familiar with seem to be better accepted if illustrated.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My son enjoys both, depends on the subject matter. He loved to read non-fiction about science, the world, and so on. When the subject matter is dogs, I think he would prefer fiction.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:My son enjoys both, depends on the subject matter. He loved to read non-fiction about science, the world, and so on. When the subject matter is dogs, I think he would prefer fiction.
I agree that it depends on the topic. My boys always liked to read non-fiction books about dinosaurs. As for pets, they seemed to like a fictional character unless it was a non-fiction book that discussed different types of dogs.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
gali wrote:My son enjoys both, depends on the subject matter. He loved to read non-fiction about science, the world, and so on. When the subject matter is dogs, I think he would prefer fiction.
I agree that it depends on the topic. My boys always liked to read non-fiction books about dinosaurs. As for pets, they seemed to like a fictional character unless it was a non-fiction book that discussed different types of dogs.
My son loves to read about dinosaurs too! We have several books featuring them. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

bookowlie wrote:This story is a non-fiction account of the author's dog Bear's life in a scrapbook-style format. There are photos of the dog and the author's family with comments related to the photos.

Do children like this type of book with photos of a real dog and true experiences or do they prefer a fictional dog story with colorful illustrations?
Do "second childhood" readers apply to this question? After reading three Dostoyevsky novels in a row I am quite ready for a doggie story, and it is vitally important that the doggie not be subjected to an inquisition, get sent to a labor camp in Siberia, or have an unrequited love affair with a female doggie who both loves him and despises him.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

:)
It's so true that sometimes it's nice to read a lighter, less dense book.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Either - till the book is light and entertaining. Books based on true experiences might be saddening and a bit too 'heavy' for children. Depressing events in books still have a psychological impact on me.. so you can imagine the case with children
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

My son loves non fiction and would almost always choose it over fiction. My daughter, however, loves fictional stories. My experience tells me it depends on the child!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I don't think it matters if the pictures are actual photographs or drawings, just if the story and the pictures are able to hold the child's attention.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I really think it depends on the child. When I was little, I loved seeing real pictures in books. This was especially true before I could read. I remember taking books that were too difficult for me and just looking at the real pictures that were in them. My sister, however, preferred fiction books with illustrations. She wasn't as interested in the actual pictures like I was.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

DATo wrote:
bookowlie wrote:This story is a non-fiction account of the author's dog Bear's life in a scrapbook-style format. There are photos of the dog and the author's family with comments related to the photos.

Do "second childhood" readers apply to this question? After reading three Dostoyevsky novels in a row I am quite ready for a doggie story, and it is vitally important that the doggie not be subjected to an inquisition, get sent to a labor camp in Siberia, or have an unrequited love affair with a female doggie who both loves him and despises him.
If you found a story like this would his name be Dogstoyevsky? I couldn't resist, I'm sorry! :lol2:
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Elaine5 wrote:My son loves non fiction and would almost always choose it over fiction. My daughter, however, loves fictional stories. My experience tells me it depends on the child!
True. Generally, do you think Non-fiction is darker than fiction? :D
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

It would depend on the non-fiction you are talking about. This tale about Bear may be considered darker than books about Clifford, Lassie or Benji (although I wouldn't use the word "dark" to describe this book).

But there are other examples where fiction is far darker. Nat Geo books for kids are non-fiction, biographies of famous people written for children are non-fiction, how-to books on arts and crafts (or doing cool tricks), etc. Meanwhile, fiction from Edgar Allen Poe and dystopian fiction are surely darker than any of those non-fiction examples. The non-fiction topic would determine if it is darker than any given fictitious work. Both umbrella genres are so huge it would be hard to make a general statement that one is darker than the other. You know what I mean?
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

My Daughter is too little (18 months) to give me her real opinion on fiction vs non-fiction. But she did love the pictures of the 'doggie' and pointed. She doesn't really know the difference between a real picture and a drawing. To her a doggie is a doggie and that is a good thing. :)
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Return to “"A Spiritual Dog: Bear" by J. Wesley Porter”