A Spiritual Dog: Bear

Discuss the September 2016 Book of the Month, A Spiritual Dog: Bear by J. Wesley Porter.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Re: A Spiritual Dog: Bear

Post by Namaste23 »

I agree that kids would not rush out to read this book. I thought it may better serve as some sort of advertising for the local animal shelter that is mention in the book if not just a family memento. I do think it could be turned into a children's book with some editing, visual changes and less description when the dog is on the decline.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I think this book was more to honor the Porter family's dog rather than being suitable for a general audience children's book. This could be turned into a fun children's book, but there would need to be more emotional connection throughout the story for that.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I thought the message of the book was very heartwarming too. I could truly feel the love and appreciation that the author had for their pet dog. However, the grammatical errors made it very difficult for me to enjoy the reading experience, and I am not likely to recommend this book to others. However, maybe children would not be bothered by this since parents would likely read the story to them and young readers will be focused on the pictures.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

The part about the family and the dogs was touching and relatable to say the least. I have a dog that I love so much but aside the illustration present in the book I found it hard to like the book.

Return to “"A Spiritual Dog: Bear" by J. Wesley Porter”