Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Free Choice Genre Discussion

Post by kio »

What book did you read? Did you like it? Would you recommend it? What genre would you say it is? What elements seemed to stand out about it? Tell us a bit about it. (After all, aren't we all wanting more books on that TBR list, no matter what we say? ;) )

-- 10 Sep 2016, 15:28 --

I read "Hidden Deception" by Colleen Helme. One year ago, Shelby Nichols was shot in the head by a robber in a convenience store. As a result, she can now read people's minds. Unfortunately, it's always getting her into trouble, especially since Joseph "The Knife" Manetto, local mob boss enlists her help from time to time as a favor for letting her live. This time, her cases are her hardest yet. Some diamonds Manetto was selling to another mob boss were stolen by someone in his organization and now he's dead. If Manetto doesn't find the diamonds, there will be a mob war on the city's hands with Shelby in the middle. Things only heat up when, Detective "Dimples" Harris enlists herself to solve a lawyer's murder. If things couldn't get any worse, while looking at a house that goes up for sale, Shelby discovers two dead bodies buried beneath the crumbling foundation. Surrounded by deception everywhere, can Shelby live to tell her tales?

This book is a funny, light-hearted mystery and is the latest in the series. It's definitely a comic mystery. You have murder (typical for mysteries), unsolved cases, and an amateur detective, so it would probably also qualify as a cozy mystery. I wouldn't definitely recommend the series. It's well written, the characters are amusing, and, if you like audio, the narrator does a great job with it. Definitely a 5 out of 5 stars for me.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
JOQuantaman
Currently Reading: The Devil Take Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JOQuantaman »

Alternate History is seldom listed among genres. This is unfortunate because many works of classical literature can be loosely classified as Alternate Histories, including Gilgamesh, Iliad, Aeneid, Divine Comedy. Alternate History novel are world-building narratives. The setting and environment is as important as the plot and characters. This is genre is tailor-made for thought experiments. How will humans react if such & such is wildly different from what it is today? For instance, what if our envisioned society where breathable air is at a premium, so everyone has to pay for the air they breathe? What if most children are enrolled in public educational crèches? And every youngster grows up without routine contact with bio parents? The author can explore current trends taken to the nth-degree. No one can deny that breathable air is worse than it was 100 years ago. It hasn't gotten so bad that we have to pay for it, but folks in Chinese cities often wear face-mask filters to protect their lungs. In the same way, public education has largely replaced parental upbringing. What public education doesn't cover, popular media does. Teenagers today way learn more from outside sources than they do from their bio parents. Modern culture has grown too complex for parents to give credible advice to their kids. So the trend is clear. Soon every youngster will become a virtual orphan.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I personally love alternate history. It really makes me think about how many events in our lives come down to a crossroads. What we choose can determine our future. For me, alternate history shows that. For example, books where JFK wasn't assassinated, or fantasy alternate ones are fun too :) I love how it can be hard to wrap your head around the ideas the books present. I agree we could use a bit more of it.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished Tempering the Rose by Dionne Lister. It is categorized as dark fantasy, and I couldn't agree more!

For years Adrastine (Addy) has had to endure her father's abuse and torment. Now, as an adult, all she wants to do is to eliminate him from this world. However, when a shelon, Jacob, comes into her life, she is suddenly thrown into a new world. A world where her role could potentially be bigger than she could have ever imagined.

Written in alternating perspectives, I really enjoyed this dark fantasy read. Addy is a strong and likable character whose past takes a toll of who she has become. The plot is action-filled and barely lets the reader take a break from its intensity. There are themes of trust, relationships, self-acceptance, and bravery woven in this well-crafted read.

Highly recommended to those who enjoy dark fantasies with a creative plot.

Warning: There are several scenes of abuse and killing that those who do not enjoy much gore in their reads, might want to pass on this one.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “September 2016 Genre Discussion”