Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
KerbiReadThat
Currently Reading: Queen Sugar
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerbireadthat.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Post by KerbiReadThat »

Yes, I do. I'm a little freaked out in new surroundings as well. I always want to know the history and wish that I could see the people that lived in the area/home. I believe that little kids can see them as well. Have you ever noticed a baby stare into blank space before and just start smiling and laughing? I always believe they see angels or past relatives.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I do not believe in ghosts.

I already answered this in more detail in the topic What are your thoughts on the origin of ghosts? so I'll just quote my comments from there to here:
Scott wrote:I feel the same as @gali on this matter.

I respect those who do believe in ghosts, especially those who have their own personal anecdotal experience to go on which I don't share.

It's completely normal and reasonable for two different reasonable people to have different beliefs on a question such as this. That's especially the case considering each person has different personal experiences using as evidence. Different evidence easily and very reasonably leads to different conclusions.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

While I do not believe, there have been some sketchy things happen in our house over the last few months that sometimes gives me chills if I think about it too much. My husband and I purchased our home about a year and a half ago from his grandparents estate after their death. They built the home, and my husband wanted to keep it. My son (5 now) was about 2 when they passed, and only remembers them with the help of photos. He drew a picture of our family a few weeks ago... complete with graves in the yard that says "nanny" and "papaw." He has never been to a funeral service.
He also said that Nanny does not like the color I painted the kitchen, and that when mommy forgets to set the security system at night, papaw just does it for us. :shock2: :shock2:
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

My thought is that empirical perceptions are based on just five senses. Five senses are all we have to perceive reality. Science, and all that we think we know (if you take it down to its core), is founded, ultimately, on faith. Empirical knowledge can only find expression in the language of our five senses, and I believe we make a mistake when we deny the existence of an experience based on our limited ability to interpret that experience. We confuse the experience with its interpretation.
We know things at different levels: We know things consciously. We know things subconsciously. We have learned reflexes. We have instincts – I marvel at the arctic tern which can navigate a migration that spans the length of our planet. How many levels of knowing do we have? Is there a knowing at a molecular level – at an atomic level? I believe, at some level, we are all connected. I think anyone who has had an intimate relationship with another person can understand this. Are there ghosts? Is there more to us than just what we perceive empirically? Did TrishaAnn92 see her grandfather at her hospital bed? I think she did!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I don't know if this is going to make sense but I do not believe in ghost but I do believe in good and bad spirits. I do not believe you can physically see a ghost and interact with it. But I do believe in spirits such as the Holy Spirit (God in spirit form). You can feel His presence and guidance but not physically see Him. On the other hand, there are evil spirits such as demons. They can possess objects and people and create havoc. Just my opinion though.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
booknut74
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by booknut74 »

Yes. As a child I always thought ghosts were a figment of my imagination. Now that I am older and have experienced some unexplained things happening in my home I do believe. Ghosts are real and if you treat them with respect they will return the same respect.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I've asked myself this question many times before strange things started happening to me. I can't explain how these "moments" happen in a logical way. It just happens. When it started, I thought my eyes (or brain) were playing games on me. However, the more frequent it happens, the more I get used to it. I can't always see ghosts. I can just feel their presence most of the time. I try to keep it to myself, though. If I voice it out, my friends would definitely think there's something wrong with me.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
IAmOobzroob
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by IAmOobzroob »

Honestly, I think it's not harmful to believe a little bit in everything, we don't really know everything about what's out there, we just know that people die, and to know what happens after that, we'd need to die too. Believing a little bit in everything and in the theories of these things could be useful at some point of our lives, just saying ?
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

IAmOobzroob wrote:Honestly, I think it's not harmful to believe a little bit in everything, we don't really know everything about what's out there, we just know that people die, and to know what happens after that, we'd need to die too. Believing a little bit in everything and in the theories of these things could be useful at some point of our lives, just saying ?
?
Aleah
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleah.html

Post by Aleah »

I'm not sure if I believe in ghosts or not, but if they did exist, I think they wouldn't be good or bad, they would exist as a neutral entity.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I don't know. That is something I have struggled with over the years as I have witnessed some strange events. Once staying at a friends house we were watching t.v. all of a sudden the front door opened and shut. She also had been witnessing other strange occurrences before then. One of my friends was living in an apartment when one night she woke up to her stereo playing waltz songs. She said her stereo was turned off when she went to bed. In the house I live in now I sort of knew the previous owner. I know his wife passed away while living in this house. She didn't die in the though. However, I have witnessed some weird strange things happen. I just tell myself it is his wife visiting. As long as they are not hurtful and don't but me, I am not worried. So I really don't know if I believe or not.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

klbradley wrote:While I do not believe, there have been some sketchy things happen in our house over the last few months that sometimes gives me chills if I think about it too much. My husband and I purchased our home about a year and a half ago from his grandparents estate after their death. They built the home, and my husband wanted to keep it. My son (5 now) was about 2 when they passed, and only remembers them with the help of photos. He drew a picture of our family a few weeks ago... complete with graves in the yard that says "nanny" and "papaw." He has never been to a funeral service.
He also said that Nanny does not like the color I painted the kitchen, and that when mommy forgets to set the security system at night, papaw just does it for us. :shock2: :shock2:
That's so spooky! If my kids ever talk about people who are there when they aren't supposed to be, I'm definitely going to believe them! None of that crappy, "It's an invisible friend, just a phase!" talk.
Maybe you should put some paint chips up and ask your son which one grandma likes the most? :wink:
booklovergal
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovergal.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by booklovergal »

I don't believe in ghosts due to the sheer lack of evidence and lack of reasoning behind the idea.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I do not believe in ghosts. I think they are a product of overactive imaginations. Just don't see how anything like that could be real.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I kind of believe in ghosts but more in a scientific context. I used to not believe in ghosts at all and thought they were just something used as plot devices in stories but after watching many Twilight Zone episodes on TV and reading books about parallel universes, I feel like ghosts are actually part of a different dimension that somehow interacts with ours and what we think is a paranormal occurrence is actually a different dimension connecting with ours.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”