Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I do not believe in ghosts and absolutely also hate ghost stories. I don't want to have terrifying nightmares so i keep away from the horror genre. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

haha....I personally don't like horror stories. I don't even believe in them. but it's also true that I watch horror movies and also get petrified sometimes. It's crazy....but I don't understand myself! Doing things I can't even predict is something I do most of the times...... :lol2:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I personally don't believe in ghosts. There are times I catch myself hoping that my deceased sister was here and witnessed important events in my life (like my wedding day) or funny TV programs that she might not have watched. However, I know she is resting right now.

Not believing in ghosts does help me enjoy the story more because I'm not afraid of hearing noises. My mind doesn't automatically think that there is a spirit around, evil or not.

Good question!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I can't say that I believe in ghosts, but I sure do love reading about them and watching movies involving them! That's the ultimate scare factor for me!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

katiesquilts wrote:I believe in the ghosts in the same way I believe in bugs and germs. I know that they are around me even when I can't see them, and sometimes under certain circumstances I can. But even if I can see them, as long as they aren't bothering me I won't bother them.
That was a really good comparison! I agree with you completely. If they aren't bothering me, there is no reason to bother them. I feel like it is just best to let them be.
AlyssaC
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssac.html

Post by AlyssaC »

I want to... I am not always sure if I truly believe they exist but I definitely believe it is possible.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I do not believe in ghosts but that has never stopped me from enjoying a good scary movie, horror book, or ghost story and it never will. :P
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

hsimone wrote:I personally don't believe in ghosts. There are times I catch myself hoping that my deceased sister was here and witnessed important events in my life (like my wedding day) or funny TV programs that she might not have watched. However, I know she is resting right now.

Not believing in ghosts does help me enjoy the story more because I'm not afraid of hearing noises. My mind doesn't automatically think that there is a spirit around, evil or not.

Good question!
I didn't consider that not believing would actually help you enjoy the story more! I figured it would make it harder to enjoy since you don't believe in them.
LydiaRenee1711

Post by LydiaRenee1711 »

I definitely believe in ghosts. I love hearing about other people's experiences when they were a child or even now. I want to get into Horror writing and I think starting with a great ghost story is a good starter, it helps when you believe in them as well. One of my life goals is to see a "ghost" or just something that isn't really there. I need to read more ghost stories! :techie-studyinggray:
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

anneloretrujillo wrote:
hsimone wrote:I personally don't believe in ghosts. There are times I catch myself hoping that my deceased sister was here and witnessed important events in my life (like my wedding day) or funny TV programs that she might not have watched. However, I know she is resting right now.

Good question!
I didn't consider that not believing would actually help you enjoy the story more! I figured it would make it harder to enjoy since you don't believe in them.
Yeah, it makes me less scared! :D I love fantasy, in general. But, what I love even more is that all the crazy vampires, werewolves, etc. aren't real, so I don't have to be afraid of them. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

LydiaRenee1711 wrote:I definitely believe in ghosts. I love hearing about other people's experiences when they were a child or even now. I want to get into Horror writing and I think starting with a great ghost story is a good starter, it helps when you believe in them as well. One of my life goals is to see a "ghost" or just something that isn't really there. I need to read more ghost stories! :techie-studyinggray:
I've got one for you! Lol! All of my books will have a little of everything in them and ghosts are a must!!!
ScarlettEscola
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlettescola.html
Latest Review: "Predator Girl" by S.B. Roozenboom

Post by ScarlettEscola »

I 100% believe, as I have seen one in my own home! I moved into a new house in my youth, and woke up that night to find a soldier standing in my room, motioning around him as though there was something for me to see. I got up, be he disappeared. I have done extensive research on him, and have only found bits of information on the soldiers that were around my area years and years ago.
Latest Review: "Predator Girl" by S.B. Roozenboom
paigeybabey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigeybabey.html

Post by paigeybabey »

I'm not quite sure how to explain my thoughts on ghosts...

I don't necessarily "believe" in them; however, with that said, I am simply fascinated with the concept that hotels or certain places can be haunted. I've always thought it would be fun to stay at a haunted hotel for a night just to experience it. We have quite a few hotels here in Arizona that are supposed to be haunted.

Another thing though, after my grandfather passed away, my family had to fly out of state to take care of the estate. While we were sitting in the airport, I looked up and I swear I saw my grandfather sitting there, looking at me. It was an older gentleman, and I swear that he looked just like my grandfather. I told my mom and she didn't see the resemblance, but I couldn't take my eyes off this gentleman. I swear it was my grandfather.

So, I think a good way to sum up my believe is more of a "I'll believe it when I see it" type thing. Hopefully this makes sense. :)
rdgober94
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rdgober94.html

Post by rdgober94 »

I believe in ghosts. I believe that their are spirits that come to visit us in all forms. One example was my sister had a baby who died, and after she passed, anytime she would talk about her, a hummingbird would fly around wherever she was. So I believe that was her baby's way of letting her know that she was there.
sfanntastic
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by sfanntastic »

I don't believe in Casper type ghosts, but I do believe in Spirits, both good and evil. I believe that if someone passes, their spirit stays around to help guide you. I also believe that in some cases, spirits are not good. They provide negativity and doubt and try to lead you away from your true purposes.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”