Review by Manali_DC -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted But True by Darren Burch is a collection of true crime stories. What makes it more interesting than most, is that, these are all cop-stories straight from a cop. Darren Burch is a veteran police officer with 30 years of experience in the force. During this time he has worked as patrol officer, supervising patrol officer, detective in Homicide, Adult Sex Crimes and Crimes against Children units. Needless to say, he has seen them all - the dangerous, the silly, the bizarre and the ridiculous!

In this book he chronicles 34 such unusual and interesting cases which gives the reader a glimpse into the exciting and eventful daily life of a police officer. From wrestling a cow holding up traffic at a busy intersection, to being involved in shootouts, biker-gang wars, grisly murders, and high profile investigations - the stories are of a wide variety! While some will have you laughing out loud at the absurdity, other stories will leave you shocked and horrified! Through these stories, the author also writes about his own journey - from witnessing a fatal traffic accident during his teenage years that contributed to his decision of becoming a cop, to almost joining the CIA, to working two sensational and high profile investigations - we get a look into the highs and lows of both his personal and professional life.

The stories are told in a straightforward, almost blunt manner. This, I feel adds to the appeal of the stories because it is so true to character. These are, after all, crime stories being told by a cop! What is pleasantly surprising is the healthy dose of humour (oftentimes self-deprecating humour) in each story. When he writes about the incident where he locks himself out of his patrol car during his rookie years, he makes an immediate connection with his readers who will no doubt remember the mistakes that had left them red-faced at the start of their careers.

Each of the stories end with a 'Twist', which is a couple of paragraphs explaining what happened afterwards or how the case was finally solved. The 'Twist', I found, was the funniest and the best part of the story. A few stories are truly gruesome and macabre in nature, but the author puts in a warning at the start of each such story. It is a well written and well edited book with hardly any typographical errors.

This is a really great book and I enjoyed reading each and every story. I give Twisted But True 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to absolutely everyone who loves reading. A word of caution: Some stories might not be suitable for children or readers who do not like graphic descriptions of violence and crime.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Sounds like a great, non-fiction that will keep you on the edge of your seat! The fact that the author sprinkled in humour here and there definitely helped to lighten the heavy load of daily police work. Thank you so much for your detailed and informative review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

MeganDJ wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 00:23 Sounds like a great, non-fiction that will keep you on the edge of your seat! The fact that the author sprinkled in humour here and there definitely helped to lighten the heavy load of daily police work. Thank you so much for your detailed and informative review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you! When I was reading this book, there were times when I realised with a sense of shock that these events are all true. As they say, truth is often stranger than fiction.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Wow, this book seems extremely intriguing! I would love to read this book and find myself lost within these crazy true stories. Great review!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

That incident involving the cow is funny. It sounds like the type of book that takes the reader on an emotional rollercoaster. Worth the read for me. I appreciate your review.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

This is such a well written review. I haven’t read the book yet though but it sounds like a great book to consider.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

aaurba wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 05:05 Wow, this book seems extremely intriguing! I would love to read this book and find myself lost within these crazy true stories. Great review!
Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

derialist wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 05:55 That incident involving the cow is funny. It sounds like the type of book that takes the reader on an emotional rollercoaster. Worth the read for me. I appreciate your review.
Having to deal with the cow holding up traffic was truly a hilarious story. Thank you for reading and leaving a comment.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Moray_001 wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 06:31 This is such a well written review. I haven’t read the book yet though but it sounds like a great book to consider.
Thank you reading and leaving a comment!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

It would be interesting. Reading crime stories from a cop.
Nice review.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I would love to see how the policeman navigated through the challenges of his life. Thank you for your comprehensive review. 💫
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 21:37 It would be interesting. Reading crime stories from a cop.
Nice review.
Thank you
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Manali_DC wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 13:15
Moray_001 wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 06:31 This is such a well written review. I haven’t read the book yet though but it sounds like a great book to consider.
Thank you reading and leaving a comment!
You’re welcome.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Nobody is as acquainted to the bizarre human (and possibly cattle!) actions than the police. The humor makes diving into some of these cases appealing. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 11:48 I would love to see how the policeman navigated through the challenges of his life. Thank you for your comprehensive review. 💫
Policemen do have very exciting and dangerous jobs! Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”