Review by Yvonne Monique -- Customer Service Is DEAD

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Review by Yvonne Monique -- Customer Service Is DEAD

Post by Yvonne Monique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Customer Service Is DEAD" by Mitche Graf.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Customer Service Is DEAD: Delivering 6-Star Service in a 1-Star World by Mitche Graf is a practical guide for entrepreneurs, business owners and customer service agents. The digital revolution and modern technologies have changed the way we deal with people. Interactions have become less personal, and it is hard to get hold of a real person to solve any service-related issues. Many online businesses have no clear contact details on their website, thus making it awfully hard for customers to contact the company. The author claims that the way for a business to stand out nowadays, is to offer excellent customer service and to exceed customers’ expectations.

Usually, we rate businesses on a 5-star scale. Mitche Graf challenges the reader to exceed these five stars and earn a magical sixth star. Therefore, he introduces the “6-Star Service Manifesto” with a lot of practical tips and tricks to improve our customer service. Each star has its own chapter that focuses on keywords, such as: “Exceed, Gold, Quickly & Efficiently, Excellence, Respect, and You.” If you want to know the ideas behind these words, you will have to read the book.

I love the author’s writing style. It is colloquial, easy to understand, and without profanity. I work in the hospitality sector and could relate to many of the author’s points of view. This book has some very useful ideas and will make business owners rethink the way they treat their customers. I liked the fact that some chapters included self-assessment questionnaires to evaluate the customer service level of your own business. The message that stood out for me was not to become complacent with your customers. This needs to be avoided in order to maintain an excellent level of customer service.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. However, I would have liked to read more about how to deal with difficult, disrespectful clients. We all know that dealing with people can be very stressful, and although Mitche Graf says that it is all right to eliminate “Low Profit/High Maintenance” customers, he does not explain exactly how to deal with these customers in real-life situations. Where do you draw the line between offering 6-star service and defending your own morals and values?

I would have loved to give this book the maximum rating, but I found more than ten grammar and spelling errors. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to business owners and people who must deal with customers on a daily basis. I do not recommend this book to people who do not like self-help guides.

Customer Service Is DEAD
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

Pretty honest and straightforward review! I am glad that it doesn't consist of cliches or advices that cannot be applied.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree. Dealing with difficult people is THE most difficult part of customer service. Knowing how to do that is key. Still, it seems like a great book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like this book is very useful. I liked your thoughtful suggestion to add a section on dealing with difficult clients. Great review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Informative review! It sounds like the author gives good advice but unfortunately fell short of getting that sixth star!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Being able to talk to a live person when you have an issue is SO important. That sixth keyword—You—caught my attention. This seems like a great read for anyone who has customers. Thank you for your take on this book!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Beautifully written! I had a conversation about customer service with my friend the other day. But it is a 2-way street. So as you mentioned, I think knowing how to deal with difficult customers is also essential. Thank you for the review :D
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I like that this book is relevant in today's world. A lot of businesses now take their customers for granted. Thank you for the amazing review and recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book sounds like one that should be read by business owners especially. I agree that in order to get ahead one must have great customer service. I also agree that there will always be people who are disrespectful and impossible to please. So, I believe there should be a section on how to deal with them. Thanks for a great review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I really enjoyed this book! I think he has a great writing style, but I agree there could have been a little more that addressed dealing with difficult clients.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I most definitely agree with the author on this, I have felt the frustration of trying to find information from messy websites or reaching real people so many times. I hope this book will help to bring back good (or great!) customer service.

Thanks for an insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This book is satisfying to read and offers some great insights that a lot of businesses can benefit from. The author really put some research into this book. Great review!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Despite the fact that there could have been more written on dealing with difficult clients, I think I would enjoy this book, being a business student. Thank you for writing a comprehensive and great review of this book!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

Having worked as a customer service agent, I think I could have really made use of a book like this. It is indeed really difficult to spot the line, how much "disrespect" can an agent accept from a customer in order to give a good image of the company? In this fast-paced world we are living in, it is important to know these things. Thanks for the nice review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This book seems like a very educational one, and I loved reading your detailed review. The errors are an easy fix. Great job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”