Review of When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Review of When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1" by Tom Wick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way, We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick is a comprehensive description of the author's trauma while growing up. This storybook narrates the emotional ordeal Tom had to go through while growing up and the ways it affected him. This story is an honest overview of the author's twenty years of life from when he was born.

Tom grew up with siblings who would do anything to take him out of the picture because they felt he was loved more by their father. Born to Marvin Edwin Wick and Dauna Pearl Conant, Tom Wick was a product of the mother's jealousy towards her pregnant sister. Tom's dad was an alcoholic, and Tom believed his mom's nagging played a role. Tom experienced emotional, physical, and sexual abuse as a child. He was exposed to drugs through his siblings. Tom suffers from PTSD as a result of these traumatic experiences, in addition to his ongoing battles with alcohol, drug, and sex addiction.

I'm giving this book three out of four stars for the following reasons: First, I think Tom made the story lengthy by adding unnecessary stuff. I didn't understand why he should discuss their family's genealogy. I nearly dropped this book after reading that part, but thank goodness I didn't. I also found too many errors while reading, showing how poor the editing was. If you want to read this book, I'd advise you to exercise patience with the author when you start, unless you like reading about the Viking genealogy from which his family came. The book had its positives.

First and foremost, the harmful effects of poor parenting. The effects of jealousy in a family If there was anyone I hated, it was his older brother. How could he sexually abuse someone he was meant to protect? His mom was the antithesis of motherhood.

You can't read this book and not appreciate your parents if you have sane ones. I still can't fathom how a woman would be so bad at parenting and even as a sister. How could she allow her sister, a 14-year-old, to live with a man they didn't know? I would recommend this book to anybody looking to become a parent so they can learn how being reckless as a parent could mar people's lives. If you are looking for a good memoir to read, I think you should take a break and pick this book up. I haven't felt melancholic in a long time, but reading about Tom's peril gave me that feeling.

I want to read the other books in this series. I hope that others like Tom also find a purpose in their lives. This book is such an inspiration to any emotionally dysfunctional person out there.

When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

This book is really an emotional one. Having to understand what people like Tom have to go through in life; it's quite sad but for him to release this book, it means that he found a way through all of the pain and trauma. Your review is amazing but I don't think I'll be able to read this book soon...
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

I just read this book some days back and I can agree with what you're saying. Bad parenting has a severe negative impact on the lives of children. The environment where a child grow greatly has an effect on them too. Nice review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I recently finished this book and all I can't say is the book left me traumatized for what the author went through; physical, sexual, and verbal abuse. What stood out anyway was the author's ability to forgive. Nicely written.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

What an intriguing but sad life! How did the author deal with all these addictions? I think this book will teach quite a lot of lessons. Great review.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I'm impressed by how well you have reviewed this book. You summarized the book so well and in detail, still making sure you didn't give out spoilers. I enjoyed reading this review. Thank you for being honest.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Wow! The author's story sounds quite complicated and rugged, but emotional. He definitely went through a lot and I will be glad to read about his transformational journey. Thanks for this review.
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

It's impressive, to see how Tom was able to overcome all the battles & addiction and putting it down in a book. But I don't like the unnecessary increase in the story length.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

An amazing parenting book. Parenting isn't always a walk in the park; sometimes, you would want to take a break. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”