Review of Crazy Time

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Review of Crazy Time

Post by Rob Carr »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Crazy Time" by L. Andrew Cooper.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

At what point do enough bad things have to happen to you before you start to question if something is behind it all? This is the question that Lily Henshaw grapples with after her friends are killed in front of her by crazed murderers. Then, after what seems like the worst that things could get, her life continues to get worse. Supported by her boss, Burt, Lily faces one extreme event after another until she decides to take matters into her own hands and go to the root of the problem: 1500 Spring Street.

L. Andrew Cooper's Crazy Time is a dark fantasy and horror book in one. It follows Lily's story as her life takes darker and darker turns into a world that becomes incomprehensible. You are left wondering what is real and what reality even means.

The book is a real page-turner, as you keep reading to find out what will happen next. It leaves you constantly wondering what strange and dangerous thing is going to be waiting on the next page.

I really enjoyed how the book built up to more extreme events as you progressed through it. The character development of Lily was also really well done, and you could find yourself easily relating to what she was going through.

The only significant issue I had with the book was that in the opening, the bad guy who brings in the concept of Crazy Time didn't seem to really fit. I feel like he should have been crazy himself, but he felt more like a calculated psychopath. Crazy Time itself, as a concept in the book, also seems to get replaced fairly early on with Collection Time.

The book is professionally edited. I didn't find anything significant enough that I would mark it as an error, but I did have three minor issues I noted, which I submitted as uncounted errors.

Overall, I rate Crazy Time 5 out of 5 stars. It was a really enjoyable read, and the small issues I found with it weren't enough to warrant deducting a star.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy horror, dark fantasy, or thrillers. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, waiting for what comes next. This book is for adult readers, as it contains material not suitable for children.

Trigger warning: The book contains extreme violence, including suicide, murder, attempted rape, and infanticide. This is not a book for a sensitive reader or someone who may have experienced violence in the past. It also has strong religious elements throughout the book, and some religious readers may find parts of the book blasphemous.

Crazy Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I am surprised by the trigger warning. It's plenty of dark themes but I think it makes the book more interesting to read, especially following Lily's account. Your review, Rob, is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 16 May 2023, 23:05 I am surprised by the trigger warning. It's plenty of dark themes but I think it makes the book more interesting to read, especially following Lily's account. Your review, Rob, is wonderful!
Thank you, Hazel! I really enjoyed it, but I recognise it might not be suitable for everyone.
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

I don't do so well with horror so I'm a little nervous to read this book after all the content warnings but it does sound interesting. Would you say the descriptions were really graphic? It might be time for me to break into the horror genre!
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Shally Z wrote: 20 May 2023, 04:41 I don't do so well with horror so I'm a little nervous to read this book after all the content warnings but it does sound interesting. Would you say the descriptions were really graphic? It might be time for me to break into the horror genre!
It is a very good read. Some of the descriptions are quite graphic but not much more than what I think would be standard for horror. I added the trigger warnings mostly for those who may have experienced those issues before and therefore be triggered by them, in particular I don't think if someone has had thoughts of suicide I don't think reading the book is a good idea.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the intriguing review and the warning. The title of the book goes well with the trigger warning. Scary to see murders and even to imagine such a scene. I won't read it cause I get my imagination fully activated when I read.
But it is great to know that you enjoyed reading it.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Kavita Shah wrote: 25 May 2023, 02:29 Thank you for the intriguing review and the warning. The title of the book goes well with the trigger warning. Scary to see murders and even to imagine such a scene. I won't read it cause I get my imagination fully activated when I read.
But it is great to know that you enjoyed reading it.
Thank you Kavita!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”