Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Uche Active »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever encountered a person or persons with a disability? What was the meeting like? What did you notice? How different are they from the average human being? In Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventures, the author gives readers a glimpse of what it is like to be a special being.

The author wrote from the third-person point of view, and the book starts by telling us how Donny was diagnosed with Down syndrome at an infant age. The family accepted this news with a heavy heart but resolved to care for him themselves. Soon, Mr. and Mrs. Miller announced to Donny and Mary Grace their plans to go on a missionary journey. Therefore, the children will relocate to California for two years to stay with their grandparents. The children received this news with shock and sadness. However, they had no choice. How does California meet them? What do they encounter? Read this book to find out.

I rate this book five out of five stars for excellent characterization, the conveyance of the message, and an engaging plot. The characters were adorable, especially Donny. As the author said, Donny is always happy, carefree, positive, and optimistic. Mary Grace, as his sister, was ever so caring and played her role perfectly. It was adorable and emotional reading the parts where they cared for each other. It was like they were against the world. I felt for the siblings, as they had to leave their parents. I admire Donny and Mary Grace for being so strong and able to adapt quickly. It made me remember crying for days when I went to live with my aunt for a few days as a kid.

Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventures by Catherine Anna Pepe is a novel about the siblings’ encounters and experiences in their new environment. I especially enjoyed the part where Mary Grace joined the Grandma Gang in their investigation. It was interesting to see her blend in. The author used her brother as the central focus of this book. The book features love, family bonds, and togetherness. At some point, the book included children’s rhymes.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. The author educated individuals about children with disabilities or special issues. Donny exhibited extraordinary traits, which the author used to show the behaviors of kids with disabilities and how different and unique they are, just like the name says. The book further reveals the challenges individuals face when they encounter new places and things. The book was also exceptionally well edited, as I found no errors while reading.

I recommend this book to children ages seven and above. Adults can also read it to younger children, and those with relatives with disabilities can learn more about them from this book.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anabel Mack
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

We could all strive to have an attitude towards life like that of Donny, have a loving sibling like his sister Mary, and living parents like Mr. And Mrs. Miller.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

This is a lovely book. I just finished this one and I loved every part of it. The book contained no errors and more adventures for children. Thanks for your opinion.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

Some people were just born with natural defects and I can't imagine how hard it would have been for them while growing up. I'm sure there are lots of emotions tied to this book. Thanks for the review.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

Your review captures the essence of the book beautifully. It's evident that the author skillfully portrays the experiences and challenges faced by individuals with disabilities, particularly through the characters of Donny and Mary Grace. Your genuine interest in understanding what it's like to be a special being shines through, making this review relatable and heartfelt.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

Your review captures the essence of the book beautifully. It's evident that the author skillfully portrays the experiences and challenges faced by individuals with disabilities, particularly through the characters of Donny and Mary Grace. Your genuine interest in understanding what it's like to be a special being shines through, making this review relatable and heartfelt.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

I'm glad the focus was on special kids like Donny.
There are great valuable life lessons to learn from this book, especially for the kids.
Kudos on the well-written review.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

The author centered the book around her brother, making him the central focus. Within its pages, the book explores themes of love, familial connections, and the power of togetherness. At certain points, the book incorporates children's rhymes, adding an additional layer of charm and playfulness.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I loved that this book was centered on Down Syndrome, as it would create more awareness to children. I really loved the storyline. Thanks for the review.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Army Life by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Sheen Jenny »

"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures offers a heartwarming and insightful perspective on the journey of individuals with disabilities. Through the third-person narrative, the book beautifully portrays the challenges and joys that come with living with Down syndrome.
Jessica Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Jessica Azuka »

It is not easy for little kids to stay without their parents for a while. But judging from the book's title, I think that there's an adventure lurking around. I am looking forward to it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”