Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Smrithi Arun »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Catherine A. Pepe’s Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventures revolves around a ten-year-old girl, Mary Grace, and her five-year-old brother, Donny, who has Down syndrome. Mary Grace often looks out for her brother, making sure he is always safe and happy. Donny is a sweet, innocent ball of joy who makes everyone around him happy by just being his cheerful self. When their parents are offered to work as missionaries in Africa, Donny and Mary Grace must leave their home town, Wichita, and live with their grandparents in California for two years. Mary Grace is not as happy about this change as Donny is. How will the two children cope with the sudden uprooting? What challenges await them in California, and how do they overcome them?

The opening scene hits the mark and succeeds in engaging the reader. Mary Grace and Donny are both great characters. Mary Grace is a very mature girl who understands her responsibilities towards Donny; she is possibly much wiser than children her age.

I loved that communication has been given so much importance throughout the book. When Mary Grace is understandably upset about her parents’ decision to take the opportunity, they give her space to process her feelings and let her come to them before trying to convince her. Even her grandparents were great with her and truly listened when she spoke about her problems. I believe all the adults in the book handled the prevailing issues with a lot of finesse.

The book's message was loud and clear. I, too, agree that most people deserve second chances. Unfortunately, the varying pace of the story can be a potential problem for engaging the readers (children). The book was slightly slow until Mary Grace and Donny reached California. Once the main conflict was introduced, the pace picked up too fast, and the story ended rather quickly. Since this is a children’s book, an even-paced story is essential to keeping the audience hooked.

As I hardly found any grammatical or formatting errors, it is safe to say the book has been professionally edited. I award Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventures 4 out of 5 stars. I am forced to deduct a star due to the pace-related issue, which is an essential factor. Giving it a lower rating would be unfair to its exceptional characterization and impactful takeaway. This book is suitable for children between the ages of 8 and 12. Parents and guardians may narrate it in parts, as a bedtime story, to the younger age groups.

P.S. A special shoutout to Papa Steve and adults like him that go the extra mile to make a child’s experience worthwhile!

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant

Post by Shally Z »

Thanks for your review Smrithi and I'm glad that you also enjoyed this book too! It was so sweet to see Mary Grace always looking out for Donny.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

That's a very well-constructed review, Smrithi. I enjoyed reading it very much. I have to say that your observation about the pace is true, although I didn't notice it while reading. But now, thinking about it, I believe you are correct. You did an amazing job! 👏
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

That's a very well written review Smrithi. I agree with you about the pace, it actually didn't bother me may be because I enjoyed the conversations but I can understand your point of view 👍. I really enjoyed reading your review.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Shally Z wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 17:08 Thanks for your review Smrithi and I'm glad that you also enjoyed this book too! It was so sweet to see Mary Grace always looking out for Donny.
Yes, truly! I loved the bond the two children had :) Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting, Shally!
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 19:27 That's a very well-constructed review, Smrithi. I enjoyed reading it very much. I have to say that your observation about the pace is true, although I didn't notice it while reading. But now, thinking about it, I believe you are correct. You did an amazing job! 👏
Thank you once again for your truly uplifting and encouraging words, Omneya!
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Sarah Zain wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 02:06 That's a very well written review Smrithi. I agree with you about the pace, it actually didn't bother me may be because I enjoyed the conversations but I can understand your point of view 👍. I really enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you for your wonderful comment, Sarah! I, too, enjoyed the conversations, especially the ones with Donny’s participation. He’s such a delightful child to be around! However, some children may get distracted easily
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 05:09
Sarah Zain wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 02:06 That's a very well written review Smrithi. I agree with you about the pace, it actually didn't bother me may be because I enjoyed the conversations but I can understand your point of view 👍. I really enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you for your wonderful comment, Sarah! I, too, enjoyed the conversations, especially the ones with Donny’s participation. He’s such a delightful child to be around! However, some children may get distracted easily
I agree with you they distracted easily. It will suits better if the parents participate in telling the story to draw the children attention.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Sarah Zain wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 05:19
Smrithi Arun wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 05:09
I agree with you they distracted easily. It will suits better if the parents participate in telling the story to draw the children attention.
Yes, I agree. As you mentioned in your review, a few illustrations would also do wonders to increase engagement.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Donny and Mary Grace are so lucky to have very supportive and loving grandparents. I am joyfully jealous of them as I grew up without grandparents on both sides. I enjoyed this book, especially the Grandma Gang and the friendship of Penelope and Mary. Your review is incredible, Smrithi!l
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 05:44 Donny and Mary Grace are so lucky to have very supportive and loving grandparents. I am joyfully jealous of them as I grew up without grandparents on both sides. I enjoyed this book, especially the Grandma Gang and the friendship of Penelope and Mary. Your review is incredible, Smrithi!l
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents, Hazel :cry:

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts on my review! The Grandma Gang are fascinating, indeed! The children are blessed to have Grandma Cathy!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Amy Luman »

What a great review! I’m sure that the pace is an issue with the younger readers. I do enjoy the fact that Mary Grace feels such responsibility for her younger brother.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Your point is well taken about the pacing of the story, and it did indeed have an impactful takeaway. I'd also like to give a shoutout to Krug for his intuitive understanding. :dog: :)
Thank you for your thoughtful take on this read!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Amy Luman wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 17:07 What a great review! I’m sure that the pace is an issue with the younger readers. I do enjoy the fact that Mary Grace feels such responsibility for her younger brother.
Mary Grace is a great sister! Thank you so much for your kind and appreciative comment, Amy!
Smrithi Arun

Post by Smrithi Arun »

MsH2k wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 19:12 Your point is well taken about the pacing of the story, and it did indeed have an impactful takeaway. I'd also like to give a shoutout to Krug for his intuitive understanding. :dog: :)
Thank you for your thoughtful take on this read!
Oh yes! Our boy Krug always stole the scene with his presence :D Thank you for your wonderful comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”