Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Uche Active »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We have often watched in movies how someone transfers or wills his property to a family member. On acquiring that property, the new owner discovers that there is more than meets the eye. This book contains a similar story to the illustration above.

An unfortunate incident happened. A group of people went on an adventure to a strange land, but no one returned except the head of security for the operation, Max Volkov. Uncle Randall is one of the people who went missing from the expedition. As fate could have it, he willed his properties to his nephew, Grant Taylor, and they were released to him after his lawyer declared his uncle dead. However, there is a twist. Grant arrives at his uncle’s house, which is now his, and discovers some journals showing some irregularities. Uncle Boris announces another expedition, and Grant uses this as an opportunity to investigate what happened on the first expedition. What secrets will he find out? Will this second team be able to make it out of Zona alive? Read this book to find out.

The author wrote the book from the first-person point of view, with Grant Taylor as the narrator. The book has an excellent mix of characters with distinct and diverse characterizations. I would start by saying that it was funny how the women who went on the expedition shared a rhyming last syllable of their names. I could also not help but giggle at the times when Irina displayed jealousy and tried to fight it off. Each character helped in the development of the story, and all had their significance. As usual in society, some characters depict greedy men and their plans to use people to make money, such as the members who saw the expedition as a business. My favorite character is Petrowski. He seemed very well-versed in expeditions and what will happen, and he came prepared for whatever situation might arise.

The book included illustrations, maps, and some foreign languages. I learned a few things about Russia and the historic places, such as the sites of democratic movements. I also learned the meaning of some common sentences, and I was especially thrilled to know the meaning of Volkov. Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a book that features the adventures of over 50 people in an unknown land where they encounter uncommon things like old volcano cones, wolf packs, and different animals, both predators and prey.

The only thing that did not sit well with me was when Grant spoke with Wuleron. It felt supernatural that he was conversing with a wolf. However, this is not enough of a reason to deduct a star from this book’s rating. The twists and turns covered it up. Fred G. Baker ensured that readers could never predict anything. The book was also exceptionally well edited, as I encountered no errors while reading. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars for its epic plot, excellent characterization, and amazing learning experience.

I recommend this book to lovers of books on adventure, crime, and thrillers. Suspense lovers are welcome to read it, as the book contains suspense.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

This book started like a crime investigation but turned out to be an adventure. Although, it seemed suspicion at first, I like Grant and Iris' romantic relationship. Nive review.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

This was a lovely book. I loved the storyline. Grant was really brave for trying to find out what really happened to his uncle. I hope he was able to. Great review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

The author’s creativing in weaving different elements in this tale which provided suspense is topnotch. I love Zona and everything that made it up, ranging from the dire wolf, saber-toothed lions etc. Well done.
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html

Post by Chee Amaka »

Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker is a book I have read and found interesting. Grant is a very likeable character, because of his zeal and determination to succeed.
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html

Post by Chee Amaka »

Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker is a book I have read and found interesting. Grant is a very likeable character, because of his zeal and determination to succeed.
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

This book was really mind-blowing there's nothing more I can say about it. It was just superb in every possible way. Nice review.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

This book by Fred G. Baker talks about Grant who hears about his uncle's sudden disappearance. He then decides to follow onan adventure to Zona to find out the truth regarding this disappearance. It would take readers on an adventure. Nice review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I wonder what irregularities Grant found and will discover in his Uncle's journal and if it Will affect the expedition. My guts tells me that his uncle is alive too. I am looking forward to reading this book.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

Firstly, I commend the reviewer for writing such a thoughtful and insightful review. They provided a great overview of the book and highlighted its strengths and weaknesses. Good job.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

I would really love to get a copy of this book. Can his uncle be found? I think he might but the hope is not as bright as it should be. Thanks for this review.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html

Post by Noble Reads »

Grant Taylor was the protagonist of this book who discovers that the story he was told regarding his uncle's disappearance wasn't entirely true. He therefore decides to follow on a second expedition to Zona. The book is an adventurous one.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

Your perfect rating of five out of five stars for "Zona: The Forbidden Land" highlights your enthusiasm for the book's epic plot, excellent characterization, and the valuable learning experience it offers.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

Petrowski quickly became my favorite character due to his remarkable expertise in expeditions and his ability to anticipate and prepare for any potential situation that might arise. His profound knowledge and foresight lent an air of confidence to his actions, making him an incredibly intriguing and admirable character.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

"An intriguing and suspenseful tale of inheritance, adventure, and the hidden mysteries of a strange land. A captivating read!"
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”