Review of Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Review of Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem" by Dr. Frank L. Douglas.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas is an eye-opening book that presents how the principles of equity and inclusion are crucial in the workplace. The book is composed of two chapters. In the first chapter, the author explains how "high equity, high inclusion" (EQIN) is the desired goal for increasing productivity and engagement in the workplace. The high rating will then result in a psychologically safe culture where respect, fairness, and acceptance are highly tangible at work. The author also provides a diagram of the Equity-Inclusion Culture Matrix, which shows the highs and lows of equity and inclusion and how they affect individuals psychologically. Depending on the situation, the quadrant shows whether the individuals fall into a psychologically safe, unsafe, or toxic culture, which makes them hopeful, engaged, anxious, or even distressed at their work. Chapter two discussed the Safe Haven Dialogues (SHD) reframing process of 18 individuals who experienced discrimination in their field as black people.

Of the 18 cases presented, twelve individuals are distressed at their work, which means they are in a toxic culture. There are two anxious individuals and one hopeful, which fall into an unsafe culture, and only one engaged individual, which belongs to a safe culture. These black people experienced racial discrimination in their respective fields and underwent microassaults, microinsults, and microinvalidations, which is harsh on their side.

The book is very informative about this unaccepted phenomenon that is supposedly eliminated in our society. Through the author's cruel experience of discrimination, his color was judged outrightly, and his status made no difference to the police, who falsely accused him. Like the author, the situations of all participants in the case study show how whites are more privileged while blacks are underappreciated in the organization.

The book is a call to action: every organization must implement diversity, equity, and inclusion for all individuals to acquire a psychologically safe culture.

There's nothing to dislike in this thought-provoking read. The author's writing style is such a wonderful harmony for readers. Besides, I noticed almost no errors since the book has only two of them. Therefore, the book appears to be professionally edited. I am giving the book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because I was informed and educated on how Victors Over Injustice in Their Profession (VIPs) addressed systemic discrimination and found solutions to it. Other than that, I love the communicative book cover, as it implies a serious subject within.

Any company or organization must have this book in its corner. Employers and employees are two of the targeted audiences of this book. I believe the book is also enjoyable for non-fiction book enthusiasts.

Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I'm glade you experienced a good read Hazel. Your review is well written. I also liked the cover it so expressing the book theme.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Sarah Zain wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:33 I'm glad you experienced a good read, Hazel. Your review is well written. I also liked the cover it so expressed the book's theme.
Thank you so much, Sarah! Yes, it was an informative read for me, especially the diagram. I feel like I'm following a mathematical formula for abbreviations like "Deqin", "EEQIN" and more. I enjoyed it.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Well done review Hannie! You've summed up the central thought and both parts very clearly. I like the idea to keep it in every organization.
😃
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Kavita Shah wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 03:56 Well done review Hannie! You've summed up the central thought and both parts very clearly. I like the idea to keep it in every organization.
😃
Thank you so much, Kavita!
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

This sounds like a very informative and interesting read. I'm sure this would be a helpful book to many professionals. And your review was great. Loved it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Fawmi Jumana wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 08:15 This sounds like a very informative and interesting read. I'm sure this would be a helpful book to many professionals. And your review was great. Loved it.
Indeed! Thank you so much, Fawmi, for dropping a kind comment!
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This is a thoroughly detailed review, Hazel. I liked the way you categorised the summary, and your advice regarding corporations having a copy is very smart. I have to commend you for reading a book with such a heavy topic. I don't think I have the patience for it. This is an outstanding review. You did a fantastic job!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I really like the way you describe this book. It is to the point and provides accurate information about its content.

It seems an interesting investigation based on facts that are based on real figures. I'll keep it in mind for a next read. Thanks for your review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 16:42 This is a thoroughly detailed review, Hazel. I liked the way you categorised the summary, and your advice regarding corporations having a copy is very smart. I have to commend you for reading a book with such a heavy topic. I don't think I have the patience for it. This is an outstanding review. You did a fantastic job!
Thank you so much, Omneya. It is indeed a serious subject to immerse with. But I enjoyed it, especially the mathematical-like formula of the Equity-Inclusion Culture Matrix. The abbreviations are scattered throughout the book, which I have to familiarize what's their meaning. Your comment always made my day, Omneya. Thanks for your superb support everytime.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Bettny Andrade wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 17:54 I really like the way you describe this book. It is to the point and provides accurate information about its content.

It seems an interesting investigation based on facts that are based on real figures. I'll keep it in mind for a next read. Thanks for your review.
Thank you so much, Bettny, for your appreciative comment. I'm excited to read your thoughts with this book when you get to read this.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 18:18
Omneya Shakeep wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 16:42 This is a thoroughly detailed review, Hazel. I liked the way you categorised the summary, and your advice regarding corporations having a copy is very smart. I have to commend you for reading a book with such a heavy topic. I don't think I have the patience for it. This is an outstanding review. You did a fantastic job!
Thank you so much, Omneya. It is indeed a serious subject to immerse with. But I enjoyed it, especially the mathematical-like formula of the Equity-Inclusion Culture Matrix. The abbreviations are scattered throughout the book, which I have to familiarize what's their meaning. Your comment always made my day, Omneya. Thanks for your superb support everytime.
You are very much welcome. ☺️
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This is such an important topic and it seems like this books handles it well. Thanks for the excellent review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Laney K wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 05:38 This is such an important topic and it seems like this books handles it well. Thanks for the excellent review!
Thank you so much, Laney, for dropping this kind comment!
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Toxic work culture is one of the main causes of mental health issues these days. Employers need to find ways to make their work environment safer and more inclusive. Recognizing the efforts of employees is also equally important. The book seems to bring this sensitive and crucial issue to light. Thanks for the insightful review Hazel! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”