Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe is a children's book full of mystery, adventure, and lessons. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have given their time, attention, and love to their two children. Donny, a five-year-old with Down syndrome who is always “happy" and who adores penguins and his marbles, and Mary Grace, a smart ten-year-old girl who enjoys solving mysteries, having fun, and caring for her only brother. When Mr. and Mrs. Miller were sent to Kenya, Africa, to serve as missionaries for two years, everything changed. To live with their grandparents, Mary Grace and her brother Donny must move to California. When the news came in, Mary Grace was dejected, but Donny in particular was as happy and upbeat as always. She pondered her school, all of her favorite Wichita locations, and all of her friends whom she would miss. She was terrified at the prospect of starting over in California. You'll have to read this book to find out whether Mary Grace and Donny will be able to adjust to the new environment in California.

The author's wording is excellent; it is very simple to understand. Children can enjoy listening to it as well as reading the story on their own without getting confused. The planning and writing of each chapter captivate the readers and keep them interested. Each chapter's word count isn't very high, which is good for books that are intended for children and young adults. This book informs readers about bullying, including its various manifestations, the effects it has, and even the various corrective actions that can be taken to stop future incidents. This tale is excellent for illustrating to children how they ought to deal with challenging situations in life, such as bullying at school. I adore how the author portrayed concepts like love, care, kindness, happiness, friendship, and family. The fiction's loose inspiration from actual people intrigues me. In the book, every character has a distinct personality and is unique. The book was professionally edited, and I didn't find any grammatical or spelling errors.

I do not dislike any section of the book. I was pleased with the way bullying was handled at Mary Grace's new school in California. I appreciate how seriously students who require special attention are treated. Reading about the "Grandma Gang" activities in this book is especially fascinating. The Grandma Gang is made up of three elderly women, including Mary Grace's grandmother, Grandma Cathy, who enjoys and is always willing to assist their family and friends with solving mysteries. Donny is portrayed not as a child with a disability but as a joyful and enthusiastic child who makes others happy, which is a good representation of children like him in real life. His persona oozes fun, cuteness, and more throughout the book. Donny's enthusiasm was never allowed to wane. The book's Donny character enables readers to learn about and relate to children who share the same medical condition. It opens doors for empathy, awareness, and acceptance, which may provide a way to end the stigma and discrimination imposed on them.

This book may be one of the best children's books. I gained insight into the importance of taking care of and loving those around me. I appreciate how the author emphasized the value of using the words "please" and "thank you.". The author skillfully depicted a happy childhood, even for kids with disabilities, as well as how to care for senior citizens. Despite being brief, the book is truly packed with adventure, wisdom, and lessons. It was wholesome, enlightening, and enjoyable to read. Although I would have preferred if the author had included more picture illustrations to make the book more captivating for kids, this does not change my decision to give the book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to teachers as well as parents of teenagers. This book explains how to handle disputes involving children and come to an amicable resolution. It will help them understand that every action has an impact on others and that bullying is not a good or acceptable behavior in our society, so I would highly recommend it to young readers ages 8 and above. I also recommend it to all adults, regardless of age, who enjoy reading well-written children's books with exciting adventures.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

His persona oozes fun, cuteness, and more throughout the book.
I agree with this 100%! He was the character I enjoyed throughout the book because of this positivism. Thanks for your excellent review, Akangbe!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Akangbe Opeyemi wrote: 12 May 2023, 13:51 Despite being brief, the book is truly packed with adventure, wisdom, and lessons.
This statement sums up the book well. There are many themes embedded in the story that one may not expect. I particularly loved the diversity of the friendships.

Thank you for your thoughtful take on this read!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”