Review of Reconfigurement

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Review of Reconfigurement

Post by Do Thi Huong »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In E. Alan Fleischauer's book, he introduces a new concept called "Reconfigurement financial planning," which is all about reconfiguring one’s life and planning ahead for retirement. 

Throughout the book, the author addresses the various challenges and situations people may encounter when looking to retire. He emphasizes the importance of planning ahead and encouraging people to find fulfilling work and enjoy life before retirement.

The first half is infused with humor and covers topics such as career testing and essential retirement planning tools. The author’s writing style is very engaging; sometimes I feel like I’m reading an adult version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which is a hilarious children's book series. 

The second half is informative but applies to only Americans. It focuses on the retirement income system in the U.S., including Social Security, 401(k), health insurance, and investment opportunities. Reading this part is like attending a boring finance class, and the author is a witty teacher trying to entertain his students with plenty of jokes along the way. He makes learning easier and so much fun. I like the positive and uplifting tone of the book. The author also included a lot of resources about websites and books readers can use to gain more insights about this topic.

As someone outside the U.S., what did I learn from it? Well, I figured out what career choices would suit me best. I learned that planning is crucial in life, and the earlier you start, the better you are. I also learned what aspects I should consider and which steps I need to take to start my retirement plan. In fact, I’m checking my insurance options right now. So overall, I was inspired to reconfigure my life and learned a lot. Yay!

I rate Reconfigurement 5 out of 5 stars. There's nothing I don't like. The book is very well-written and educational. The content is clear, concise, and has an abundance of additional resources. There is no unnecessary repetition, which is something many other self-help books fail to do (for this reason alone, it deserves a million stars!).

For recommendation, I think it’s a must-read for Americans navigating financial planning and retirement concerns. But for others, it's worth a second thought since half of the content won’t be applicable to you directly unless you’re like me, who loves learning new concepts while being entertained.

Reconfigurement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

As a fellow reader, I can resonate with your experience while reading this book. I agree with most of your perspectives here, that this book is well-written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad we can resonate in the book reading experience here.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I know that this is an important subject, but I find it incredibly boring. I guess that I shouldn’t find it surprising that most Americans aren’t equipped to deal with retirement. Thanks!
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Mercury Mind by Nathan Lancry
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

"Reading this part is like attending a boring finance class" made me laugh out loud! What a great review. It is valuable that the author avoided unnecessary repetition and I agree that is a million-star feature. Retirement in America is such an emotionally loaded topic. The people who earned money and saved it often sound like insufferable jerks when discussing retirement, and the people who either didn't earn enough or for whatever reason didn't save it feel like indignant victims of the elites. No one wins and it's a rare book that conveys important information about retirement without getting lost in the political and emotional complexities. Thank you for this review!
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Do Thi Huong »

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 06 May 2024, 20:16 Retirement in America is such an emotionally loaded topic.
Thanks for replying and sharing such great insights about this topic. I love it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”