Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures centers on the Miller family. Their father was a missionary, and their mother worked with WHO. They left the children to go to Kenya to spread the gospel. It also talks all about the children and what they did when they moved to California, stating all their joys, frustrations, and challenges.

The Grandma Gang solved a wonderful mystery about theft at a candy store. These thieves broke into the store and stole candy and eyeglasses. When the police came to investigate, they couldn't solve the mystery. Since the police couldn't solve the mystery behind the missing items, the Grandma Gang took over. After much investigation, they finally realized that it was not the kids who were stealing the candy and the glasses. You will be surprised at the culprit.

I like this book because it would connect well with children. It also centers its theme on the importance of taking care of children with disabilities in society and not making them feel awkward or left out. That's why I love Mary Grace. Even though she had her challenges, she always had her brother's back. She was always on the lookout for him, and she made sure to always make him feel loved. I also liked the Grandma Gang because, despite their age, they were still up and doing something to help solve one mystery or another.

There were things I disliked in this book. Mary Grace and Donny's parents didn't come back at the end of the book. Yes, I was satisfied with how the culprit behind the threatening notes was found and dealt with. But I think it would bring greater satisfaction if the children met their parents physically, even if it was for a short while. The children also didn't have much communication with their parents. I think parents should treat their child's care as something more important than most things.

I'll rate the book four out of five stars. I recommend it to young children of Mary Grace and Donny's age. The book doesn't support bullying of any sort. It also advocates treating people with disabilities or physical differences fairly. Since children are fond of bullying those they think are different at this age, this book would be a good sensitizing tool to change their mindset. The book doesn't contain errors either. I removed a star because I think Donny's parents didn't set a good example for parents today.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dani Elle Ele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: It Was What It Was by Daniel Pace

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

I love this book. It will help inculcate in the younger generation the spirit of love and friendship.
Kikelomo Awowole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikelomo-awowole.html
Latest Review: Prosperity Gospel by Roger Smalling

Post by Kikelomo Awowole »

A really good read. captures the interest of an older reader while masterfully capturing childhood. Excellent editing and writing quality. I thought the author's writing style was excellent.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Daberechi Precious »

I love this
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Daberechi Precious »

This book was very easy to understand, I recommend to young adults, love the moral support it gives. I learned alot while reading this book.
Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malachi-chukwuebuka-nelson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson »

This book sounds interesting I'm looking forward to reading this book. Your review is engaging and awesome. Kudos.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: ANGELA'S REDEMPTION by King Hambone (aka Augustus H. Green, Jr)

Post by Sunday N Florence »

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures sounds like an engaging story centered around the Miller family's experiences in California while their parents are away on missionary work. It seems to highlight the joys, frustrations, and challenges the children face, providing a relatable narrative for young readers.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by williams Emerald »

This book is perfect for anyone seeking inspiration and courage to go through life regardless of the challenges and it’s suitable for all ages.
Goodness Kene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Goodness Kene »

I honestly wished you said more about hhe parents not setting a good example for parents today, because that sounded interesting and controversial. Nice review.
Scholastica Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Breaking the Mold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scholastica-daniel.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Scholastica Daniel »

A children's book do not always include real issues like being away from your parents and staying with your grandma and an autistic sibling but this looks like a good mix and I definitely check it out.
Christian Jordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christian-jordan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christian Jordan »

"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" follows the Miller family as their missionary parents go to Kenya. The story details the children's experiences, joys, frustrations, and challenges in California.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Julius Peters »

the book's themes of anti-bullying and support for children with disabilities make it a valuable and enjoyable read for young readers. A very heartwarming story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”