Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

Post by Goodness Kene »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Randy Miller's Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath is a gripping tapestry of historical fiction that reveals the lesser-known stories of the Vietnam War, focusing keenly on the sailors who faced the tumultuous South China Sea. The book is a delicate dance between love, duty, and the haunting shadows of war. It introduces readers to Zack Martin, a young Vermonter who, propelled by love for his country, enlists in the United States Navy.

The remarkable thing about the book is its ability to humanize the often-overlooked experiences of sailors, looking into their camaraderie, sacrifices, and the enduring aftermath of conflict. Through meticulous detailing, Miller paints vivid images of naval operations, the stark realities of combat, and the insidious effects of Agent Orange, weaving a narrative that is both immersive and enlightening.

At its heart, the book explores the personal journey of Zack, his dreams mixed with the harshness of war, and the unyielding spirit of those who served alongside him. The book doesn't merely romanticize heroism but digs deep into the emotional complexities, particularly through Zack's relationship with Tally Goodwin. This love story adds a poignant layer, showcasing resilience amid the chaos of war and the subsequent healing challenges.

The author's meticulous research is evident, seamlessly integrating historical context into the narrative. Still, I have some reservations about this book. Although the author included a glossary, the accents used in the dialogue were still challenging to understand at times. I also found some errors and some profane content while reading. For these reasons, I deducted a star and rated this book four out of five stars.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath stands as a testament to Miller's storytelling prowess, offering an insightful, well-rounded portrayal of the Vietnam War's impact on individuals. Besides my reservations, the book was an interesting one. I recommend it to readers who care to know more about historical wars. I highly recommend it to those seeking a rich historical narrative that goes beyond the battlefield, resonating with the human spirit at its core.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alissa Deann Devargas
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

There was so much to read in this book. Zack's story was interesting as he went through life as a Navy officer. However, I was incensed by the government's refusal to help him and other veterans who were affected by the Agent Orange.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

Well, books about wars don't really appeal to me but I appreciate your well-composed review. I like your writing style.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Robert Cortes »

"Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller sounds like a compelling exploration of the lesser-known stories of the Vietnam War, focusing on the experiences of sailors in the tumultuous South China Sea.

The book's ability to humanize the sacrifices and enduring aftermath of conflict, particularly through the character of Zack Martin, offers readers a poignant glimpse into the emotional complexities of war.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”