Review of Secrets of the Kashmir Valley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amos Osinya
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amos-osinya.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Review of Secrets of the Kashmir Valley

Post by Amos Osinya »

From the review, I see an interesting book that highlights the culture, politics and life in Kashmir. I'm interested in the book to learn more about Kashmir.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1014
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Dark and Lonely Road by Sean Gates

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Despite all the hardships the Kashmirs have gone through, they have retained their innocence. This was evident when I visited Kashmir with my family. This book seems to give a detailed insight into the valley and its people.

Thank you for the great review.
Rose Angela
Favorite Author: Lisa Kleypas
Favorite Book: God of Wrath
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5547

Post by Rose Angela »

"Secrets of the Kashmir Valley" by Farhana Qazi is a poignant exploration of the resilience and spirit of women in the midst of the Kashmir conflict. It's a deeply moving narrative that transcends politics, focusing instead on the human stories of survival and hope. The book is a testament to the author's courage and empathy, offering readers a rare glimpse into the lives of these women. It's a compelling read that leaves a lasting impression.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Great review! This obviously isn’t a requirement, but I can appreciate the time that was taken here to emphasize how well written the book was rather than going into too many details about the actual contents. This leaves potential readers to discover the assumed top-tier quality of the book for themselves.
In "Secrets of the Kashmir Valley," Farhana Qazi masterfully combines comprehensive research with heartfelt storytelling. This approach makes it easy for readers to connect with the people of Kashmir. By reading this book, you'll not only learn about the challenges they face but also about their remarkable strength and resilience. I couldn't find anything to dislike about this book, and I would give it a perfect five out of five stars for its exceptional editing and grammatical precision.
It's always great to find a book with this sort of balance. This especially if it’s on a particularly “meaty” topic, as I would think Kashmir would be.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

This is a fantastic review! Your detailed insights and appreciation for the author's work are evident. Your ability to connect with the book and its message shines through. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Chris Agbara »

"Secrets of the Kashmir Valley" is an impeccably researched and impartially presented exploration of Kashmir, offering readers an accessible yet comprehensive understanding of the region's complexities and the resilience of its people.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Wow! This seems to be an interesting read. Thanks for the engaging review!
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review of "Secrets of the Kashmir Valley"! Your thorough analysis highlights the book's strengths, particularly its accessibility, meticulous research, and balanced presentation of complex issues. Farhana Qazi's ability to humanize the struggles faced by the people of Kashmir while maintaining impartiality is indeed commendable. It's refreshing to hear that the author's storytelling approach fosters a deeper understanding and connection with the region and its inhabitants. Your recommendation makes a compelling case for why this book is a valuable read for anyone interested in delving into the complexities of Kashmir.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This book introduces the reader to the wonders and beauty of Kashmir amid the conflict that continues to take place in the region. The author is passionate about Kashmir, starting from when she was little with her mother’s stories. One for those interested in learning about the conflict.
Billy Samuel 1
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Billy Samuel 1 »

Kashmir sounds like a place which is plagued more by external aggression than internal strife. An analogy comes to mind, of a helpless person caught between two bullies fighting over who gets the exclusive rights to bully the victim!
A sad state of affairs, which can only be understood better by paying more attention to the underlying intrinsic national emotional psyche, rather than focus on the extrovert expressions of the activists frustrations.
There is no better way to gain insight into this than listening to women telling it, because they are the actual first line victims in any conflict. It becomes even Much better,if the telling of such a story is impartial as you have noted.
A good review. And the book promises to offer a more sensitive insight into the Kashmir situation and a good read.
Shaheera Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaheera-khan.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Shaheera Khan »

"Kashmir" name that resonates with both nature's beauty and war. The people of Kashmir live their lives between fear and hope. The views are breathtaking and you can be counting on your breath in the event of war. But the real victory lies in the spirit of its people who lived their lives despite difficulties and will continue to live on. Congratulations on BOTD!
Ladi S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladi-s.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ladi S »

I like the way the book helps you understand the Kashmir people in a simple language. Also I commend it for the adequate research put into publishing it.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading: What the Soul Suspects
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

Kashmir is a very complex issue indeed. I have been to Kashmir, seen the poverty, seen the scams, seen the soldiers who are always around. I went there before Article 370 was abrogated. I believe the situation has become better. I hope Kashmir progresses. Congratulations on the BOTD, and best wishes for future projects.
Julius Adekunle 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-adekunle-1.html
Latest Review: Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics by Shannon Duncan

Post by Julius Adekunle 1 »

"Secrets of the Kashmir Valley" by Farhana Qazi is a captivating and well-researched book that provides a balanced and insightful view of the region. The author's meticulous research and inclusion of real-life stories make complex topics accessible and engaging. This impeccably edited book earns a perfect five-star rating for its ability to offer valuable insights into the lives and challenges of Kashmiri people, making it a must-read for anyone interested in understanding the region.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I would like to know more about kashmir and it's conflicts. Based on the review, I believe this is the right book. The author uses simple words which are easier to understand and empathize. A good review!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”