Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fatola Fatai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond

Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

Post by Fatola Fatai »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos is a book I find delightful and insightful reading. From the very first page, the author’s storytelling style captivated me. Through a careful combination of personal experiences as an expat in Ecuador and practical advice, the author debunks common myths about living abroad.

The book opens with a glimpse into the author’s life before 2009 and the circumstances that led him to leave the United States and embark on a new journey as an expatriate in Ecuador. This candid introduction drew me in, setting the stage for the engaging and humorous tales that followed. As I dove deeper into the book, the author’s honest approach to discussing the realities of moving to a foreign country struck me. He doesn’t shy away from addressing the challenges and potential pitfalls, but he does so with a sense of humour and a genuine desire to help readers make informed decisions.

One aspect that resonated with me was the author’s exploration of the different phases one goes through after relocating to a new country, such as the “honeymoon phase.” His ability to capture these experiences with both humour and wisdom made the book enjoyable to read. The author’s discussion on culture shock was educational. He not only defined the concept but also offered practical advice on how to prevent and cope with it. His story about being invited to a party only to find the host just starting their morning shower added a touch of humour to the narrative while driving home important lessons.

I rate this book five out of five stars because the author crafted a work that not only entertains but also informs. His simple writing style transported me right into the heart of his expat life in Ecuador, making me feel as though I was experiencing it firsthand. By the end of the book, I contemplated a vacation in Ecuador, thanks to the author’s captivating descriptions and genuine enthusiasm for the country. I appreciate the careful editing and attention to detail throughout the book.

I did not notice any negatives about this book. It strikes a perfect balance between practical advice and thought-provoking insights, leaving me satisfied and inspired. I recommend this book to anyone considering a move abroad or those interested in relocating to Ecuador or other Latin American countries. However, even those without immediate plans to become expats would find this book an entertaining and educational read.

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

As an expat living abroad for the past 8 years I'm sure I can relate to all of these stories. I'm adding this book to my must read list right away. Thanks for introducing it to me.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a great book that is rich with the author's personal experience. Thanks for the great review!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”