Review of Photofinish

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review of Photofinish

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Photofinish" by Cheryl Kerr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Photofinish by Cheyl Kerr is billed as a crime thriller set at a racing stable. The story opens with the murder of a prominent owner. The old man’s granddaughter, Rory Kind, arrives the next day and joins forces with NYPD police detective Bailey Morgan to attempt to solve the mystery.

The reader already knows who the killer is, so this is more of a ‘will they catch him’ than a ‘whodunnit.’

What I enjoyed about the story was the character development. Every character is fleshed out, and they all fit the plot. The book has a satisfactory ending, with all the questions answered. Cheryl Kerr has obviously done her research, and horse stable processes were detailed, descriptive, and informative.

That’s what I liked, here’s what I didn’t.

I grew up reading Dick Francis’ racecourse mysteries, and I was hoping this one would be in the same vein. It was close, but for me, it had a few flaws. The novel feels like two stories in one. At times, the focus is more on Rory Kind and her journey of self-discovery than on the murder investigation, which sometimes feels secondary in the story. There were a lot of flashbacks to her childhood, almost one per chapter, and I found that they broke up the flow of the current events.

I’m a fan of trying to guess who the killer is, so this approach of already knowing before the protagonist does let me down a little.

A challenge with many first-person stories is that the characters rarely introduce or describe themselves. It was three pages into Chapter One before I realized that Rory was female — as Rory could be a name for either gender — and by the end of the book, except for having button eyes, I can’t tell you what she looks like. All the other characters were described through Rory’s eyes, so it was easy to picture them. Rory often glances at herself in a mirror; if only she’d made an internal comment to herself about her appearance, the reader would have something to work with.

For some odd reason, certain words are underlined throughout the book. I’m not sure if this means they may be hyperlinks in a future edition, but for now, they serve no purpose, and I found them distracting.

The book is well-edited; however, I found five errors. That didn’t distract from my reading enjoyment, but the other reasons mentioned did, so I can’t give this book a full score. So, I’m rating it 4 out of 5 stars.

Lovers of horse racing, equine stable processes, and family sagas will enjoy this mystery the most. There’s no profanity, and there’s only one suggested sex scene with no vivid description, so young teens and up can read this book.

Photofinish
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

"Photofinish" is a crime thriller book that I'm excited to read because I enjoy crime stories and solving mysteries. A good plot and well-developed characters are important to me, as they enhance the overall reading experience and prevent the story from feeling dragged out. However, I'm disappointed when characters aren't fully fleshed out and the plot becomes redundant or overly lengthy.

As someone who likes to try and solve murder mysteries alongside the characters, this aspect is a letdown for me. Nevertheless, I appreciate the detailed review, as it gives me a clear understanding of what to expect from the book and what to avoid in order to fully enjoy it. I've already added it to my bookshelf and plan to pick it up soon, thanks to your insightful review.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 108%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Ah I hate it when I find that the presumed the gender of a character wrong! That being said, I absolutely adore any story involving horses and this one seems to have added a murder mystery as a cherry on top! I definitely would be giving this one a try. It helps that it has minimal errors and no profanities. Thank you for such a beautiful review, Stephen. I always love reading your reviews.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Stephen Christopher 1

Elizabeth-Tush4Christ wrote: 09 May 2024, 02:07 "Photofinish" is a crime thriller book that I'm excited to read because I enjoy crime stories and solving mysteries. A good plot and well-developed characters are important to me, as they enhance the overall reading experience and prevent the story from feeling dragged out. However, I'm disappointed when characters aren't fully fleshed out and the plot becomes redundant or overly lengthy.

As someone who likes to try and solve murder mysteries alongside the characters, this aspect is a letdown for me. Nevertheless, I appreciate the detailed review, as it gives me a clear understanding of what to expect from the book and what to avoid in order to fully enjoy it. I've already added it to my bookshelf and plan to pick it up soon, thanks to your insightful review.
Hi Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by. Yes I love being able to 'guess' the killer, so not having that component doesn't make it fit the 'murder mystery' theme as much as a general crime theme. It's an easy read and I found the horse-racing components interesting. I hope you enjoy it too.
Stephen Christopher 1

RJ Reviews wrote: 09 May 2024, 04:48 Ah I hate it when I find that the presumed the gender of a character wrong! That being said, I absolutely adore any story involving horses and this one seems to have added a murder mystery as a cherry on top! I definitely would be giving this one a try. It helps that it has minimal errors and no profanities. Thank you for such a beautiful review, Stephen. I always love reading your reviews.
Oh, if you're into horses, you'll love this. All the background information on how a stable works and how they prepare for races was a fascinating component of this story. hope you enjoy it, and thanks for the kind words.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Yup, the reader always knows who the bad guy is and, at some point, even knows how it will end. I totally root for the older man's granddaughter. I loved your review.
Stephen Christopher 1

Risper Ouma Anyango wrote: 09 May 2024, 22:36 Yup, the reader always knows who the bad guy is and, at some point, even knows how it will end. I totally root for the older man's granddaughter. I loved your review.
Thank you so much for your kind words. Yeah so did I, she's a great character.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

I like your approach. :) I also enjoy guessing who the murderer is. This is part of the fun of reading the book. The tension about hot it develops is worth too.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Stephen Christopher 1

Cristiano Bellucci wrote: 13 May 2024, 08:31 I like your approach. :) I also enjoy guessing who the murderer is. This is part of the fun of reading the book. The tension about hot it develops is worth too.
Yes, I'm not sure where the concept of revealing the villain early in the book comes from, but I'm seeing it more often now, and I'm not a fan.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 65%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

This one is depth analysis of the book and gave us good picture of what to expect from this book in the aspect of composition and narrating skills.
Stephen Christopher 1

Harshitha Nayak wrote: 14 May 2024, 13:53 This one is depth analysis of the book and gave us good picture of what to expect from this book in the aspect of composition and narrating skills.
Thanks Harshitha for your kind words.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m sorry that there were problems with the book. I, too, like to be able to try and use clues to determine the killer even though I am not very good at it. I also don’t really enjoy stories centering around horses. Thanks!
Stephen Christopher 1

Amy Luman wrote: 15 May 2024, 16:57 I’m sorry that there were problems with the book. I, too, like to be able to try and use clues to determine the killer even though I am not very good at it. I also don’t really enjoy stories centering around horses. Thanks!
Yes, whatever happened to the classic 'whodunnit' books? I hope they get a resurgence.
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Terry Kimble »

I'm considering giving this book a look. I, too, prefer to solve a crime along with the characters (I'm so dang good at it! :lol2: ), but from your review, Stephen, it sounds like this book has just enough charm to interest me. I enjoyed this review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Eternal Hero by William Grace
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Dick Francis - that takes me back to the 1980s, wow!

You raise an interesting point about not knowing what a character looks like when a novel is first-person. Having a character looking at themselves in the mirror is a cliche, though, so I always notice and get taken out of the story when that happens. I suppose the best way might be if they compare themselves with another character.

I enjoyed reading your comprehensive review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”