Review of Sister B

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 38%

Review of Sister B

Post by Yashi Shukla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sister B" by David Charles Hart.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. Author David Charles Hart's "Sister B" narrates the gripping tale of Willa Mae, also known as Sister B, an African American lady of resolve in the 1930s. Racial tensions and World War II provide fresh hurdles for her as she moves from Mississippi to Portland, Oregon, in search of a better life. In this novel, Hart provides an engrossing story that explores the interwoven paths of Sister B and Akio, illuminating the racial tensions prevalent at the time. The story is made more nuanced by the author's deft portrayal of themes of reconciliation and forgiveness.

My favourite section of the book is the story of Akio Hoshimoto, since it is both heartwarming and depressing. I was captivated by the love story between him and Misaki. I admire how this novel deftly intertwines the lives of Sister B and Akio Hashimoto against the backdrop of momentous historical occurrences. Observing the intersection of their journeys and their strategies for overcoming obstacles is fascinating.

Sister B is my favourite character in this novel because of her deep character development, which is something I really admire about her. Her character develops in a genuine and engaging way, from her early hardships in Mississippi to her voyage to California and her engagement in activism. I respect her fortitude and will to improve her own and her son Maurice's lives.

This book has nothing about it to dislike. The fact that I could not find a single mistake in the book indicates that it has been expertly edited, which improves the reading experience. The use of racist slurs, sexual content, and profanity may turn off sensitive readers from this novel. I give this book a five-star rating because of its flawless narration, historical correctness, and overall presentation, which includes images. Readers of historical romance stories who enjoy strong female leads should definitely read this.

Sister B
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I always appreciate authors in the social justice issue, especially racism in a world where people often try to maintain the toxic systems in their life while pretending that nothing happen and hide the truth. This is an interesting theme, what a great review
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I love to read historical romances. And this one has a female lead which makes the book a must-read for me!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 65%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

To be spoken about issues rather than politics issue in history,i always took back burner..so it good to see , the Individual strengthen female characters story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”