Review of 2084

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 38%

Review of 2084

Post by Yashi Shukla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "2084" by Kadon Landon Peterson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. Kadon Landon Peterson's "2084" transports readers to an unsettlingly real future when dictatorship, artificial intelligence, and surveillance collide. This dystopian masterwork confronts established conventions and poses important queries about freedom, authority, and the effects of unbridled technological development.

The dialogue between Jacob and Dune over language and God was my favourite part of the novel since it really captured my interest. Since I like both grey characters and antiheroes, I thought the protagonist's internal monologues added a lot of intrigue to the novel. The conversations between Dune and the misfits were really fantastic to me. My favourite character, though, has to be Fennec because of her carefree nature and lively personality, which make her the protagonist's sunshine.

Peterson vividly describes a post-devastating world ruled by the World Peace Authority (WPA) in this book. Everybody in this world is the same, regardless of gender or culture. The narrative centres on Dune and Fennec, who oppose the WPA's ambitions to exterminate all people. The way psychology and science are combined challenges readers' preconceptions, making it an engaging read. Personally, I'd like to learn more about the grid controller (GC) and WPA.

While there is nothing to particularly dislike about this book, I would have preferred it if the author had included references to other countries' and cultures' approaches to the WPA rather than simply the US and its Christian values. In my opinion, the protagonist's interactions with individuals of different faiths and nationalities would have enhanced the intrigue of this work. A morally dubious female character is something that I would be interested in, since it would be intriguing to watch how the protagonist and her interact.

I could not find a single mistake in this book, which speaks highly of its editing. Sensitive readers may find this book inappropriate since it deals with mature and sensitive subjects and uses a good amount of profanity. Overall, I thought this book was excellent because of its carefully thought-out dystopian setting and well-developed characters. For these reasons, I give it five stars. A must-read for mature sci-fi lovers looking for a compelling examination of humanity's worst tendencies as well as for readers of speculative fiction desiring a compelling and reflective voyage into a terrifying future.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Books about AI and dystopia remind me of Terminator. This book might be interesting to add to my reading list. Thank you for writing this review. What a great writing.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 63%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Weaving a story about future with AI influence, is something most of the visualising now. By looking at your review and rating, it seems great book to give a try

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”