Review of The 13th of Summer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Review of The 13th of Summer

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 13th of Summer" by Charlene Pratt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the year 1936, depression and dust storms ravaged the South Dakota prairie. The crops failed due to drought, and the people were facing a difficult time. The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt takes us back in time to the 1930s, when life was simple yet complicated.

12-year-old Betty Peterson, along with her siblings Christian, Willow, Albert, Daniel, and Gretta, work together, sharing household chores and helping their dad, Alfred, at the farm. Her mother, Etta, is pregnant and, therefore, is away from the heavy household chores for the time being. The failure of crops and the increasing finances are burdening the Peterson family and many such families in South Dakota. Meanwhile, the bank seized the land of Foley's family. Lloyd is struggling to adjust to life with his dad after his parents’ separation. Will the collective condition of these people ever improve? Will the weather turn in their favor at the end? One needs to read the book to know the answers.

The author narrates the story from a third-person perspective and gives readers a peek into the complicated emotional intricacies of the characters. The author’s writing enables the readers to imagine effortlessly. I loved the characterization of Alfred. He is the head of the family and has maintained his composure and calmness even in the most fatal incidents. He keeps a brave face, knowing very well that his family relies on him, and if he lost his composure, his family would crumble. The people of South Dakota look after each other with compassion and warmth. I loved this aspect the most in this book.

The author divided the book into three parts. Despite the abundance of emotional and nostalgic moments in this book, I found some flaws in the book. The story progressed well until the climax, but the author hurried the climax, and the ending wasn’t satisfactory. Throughout the story, up until the pre-climax, readers will feel that Betty is the main character, but from the pre-climax onwards, it doesn’t seem so, and her presence is limited. The time skip in the third part was abrupt. If the author had developed the story further before the time-skip, it would have been nice. Unfortunately, I have to deduct a star for the above-mentioned points.

The editing of this book is commendable, as I encountered only a few errors. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I have deducted a star for the previously mentioned points. Readers who would like to go back in time and those who enjoy good historical fiction stories would definitely like this book.

The 13th of Summer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Runan wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 09:03 [Following is a volunteer review of "The 13th of Summer" by Charlene Pratt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the year 1936, depression and dust storms ravaged the South Dakota prairie. The crops failed due to drought, and the people were facing a difficult time. The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt takes us back in time to the 1930s, when life was simple yet complicated.

12-year-old Betty Peterson, along with her siblings Christian, Willow, Albert, Daniel, and Gretta, work together, sharing household chores and helping their dad, Alfred, at the farm. Her mother, Etta, is pregnant and, therefore, is away from the heavy household chores for the time being. The failure of crops and the increasing finances are burdening the Peterson family and many such families in South Dakota. Meanwhile, the bank seized the land of Foley's family. Lloyd is struggling to adjust to life with his dad after his parents’ separation. Will the collective condition of these people ever improve? Will the weather turn in their favor at the end? One needs to read the book to know the answers.

The author narrates the story from a third-person perspective and gives readers a peek into the complicated emotional intricacies of the characters. The author’s writing enables the readers to imagine effortlessly. I loved the characterization of Alfred. He is the head of the family and has maintained his composure and calmness even in the most fatal incidents. He keeps a brave face, knowing very well that his family relies on him, and if he lost his composure, his family would crumble. The people of South Dakota look after each other with compassion and warmth. I loved this aspect the most in this book.

The author divided the book into three parts. Despite the abundance of emotional and nostalgic moments in this book, I found some flaws in the book. The story progressed well until the climax, but the author hurried the climax, and the ending wasn’t satisfactory. Throughout the story, up until the pre-climax, readers will feel that Betty is the main character, but from the pre-climax onwards, it doesn’t seem so, and her presence is limited. The time skip in the third part was abrupt. If the author had developed the story further before the time-skip, it would have been nice. Unfortunately, I have to deduct a star for the above-mentioned points.

The editing of this book is commendable, as I encountered only a few errors. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I have deducted a star for the previously mentioned points. Readers who would like to go back in time and those who enjoy good historical fiction stories would definitely like this book.

The 13th of Summer
Hi, Runan, I want to learn about the history of South Dakota and the Great Depression. This story of the resilience of the South Dakota citizens during the Great Depression is inspiring to me because it reaffirms core values we must keep to stay strong and proactive. Your honest rating and the reasons for it will help the author improve to become a 5-star writer. Thank you. This book is going on my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

I think the organisation of the book is something attractive about. The characterisation enables the characters to shine and to have thoughts of their own.
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Gerry Steen wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 10:56
Runan wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 09:03 [Following is a volunteer review of "The 13th of Summer" by Charlene Pratt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The 13th of Summer
Hi, Runan, I want to learn about the history of South Dakota and the Great Depression. This story of the resilience of the South Dakota citizens during the Great Depression is inspiring to me because it reaffirms core values we must keep to stay strong and proactive. Your honest rating and the reasons for it will help the author improve to become a 5-star writer. Thank you. This book is going on my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:
There is so much to learn from the people of the past. It is an inspiring book, and I hope you enjoy reading it. Thank you for the appreciation. :tiphat:
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Kutloano Makhuvhela wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 14:17 I think the organisation of the book is something attractive about. The characterisation enables the characters to shine and to have thoughts of their own.

I agree with you. This book has good characterization. Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment. :tiphat:
Runan
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much, Runan, for this wonderful review. I appreciate your critics about the speed of the narrative left the reader unsatisfied. I understand that the emotional development compensate it and makes the book worth reading.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

While reading this book, I learn about the dust Bowl, great depression and some detail in the middle American. It's a great book to read, really intriguing when you finally understand the context of the situation there.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”