Review of The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Review of The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop" by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dogs smell everything they come into contact with. It can be dirty socks, grass, and poop as well! Pet owners provide delicious pet food to their dogs, yet they fancy poop sometimes. Especially when they are on a sniffari, they are excited to encounter poop.

Lucky and Peanut, the beagles, sniff and taste the poop of various animals during their sniffari in The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop. They give it a rating based on the smell, texture, taste, and rarity. Written by M. Jackson from the point of view of beagles Lucky and Peanut, this illustrated novel lets the readers into the thought process of the beagles as they share their thoughts about different poops. The beagles also let the readers know about their butler’s thoughts when it came to the smell of different poops. The readers are in for a laughing riot at their quirky sense of humor as they try to finish eating or rolling in poop business before their butler steps in.

The illustrations in this book precede the prose, are kept simple, and look like children’s paintings. I think both the artist and the author deliberately presented it this way to grab children’s attention. It is wonderful and definitely eye-catching. I’m pleased with the author for adding Mr. Beckham’s name along with Lucky and Peanut as co-authors. Though Mr. Beckham departed too soon for a beagle, the author’s decision to add him as the book’s co-author expresses the author’s sentiment that Mr. Beckham is still remembered and is very much part of the family.

Although the book is creative and makes for a joyous read, I found some drawbacks in it. The font size is small and sometimes difficult to read. The author laid some of the text over dark background colors like dark blue and green. The text blends with the background, requiring the reader to strain a bit to read. Thankfully, some parts of the prose were on a lighter background, and I could easily discern it. Also, the author presented the entire prose on separate pages. Presenting some of the prose over the illustrations would be great. For these reasons, I am deducting a star from my rating.

The editing of this book is spectacular, as I found no errors. This book is not only about poop, but it also equips children with knowledge on the different habits of animals along with their behavioral traits. With words like pervasive, malodorous, and rummage used in this book, little children can expand their vocabulary. Even though there’s no conflict in this book, surprisingly, I was curious to know the winner of the best poop contest. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Children below 10 years of age who find poop jokes funny will enjoy this book wholeheartedly.

The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

The book will be funny for children. Although his idea is relatively strange, it is new in some way. Beautifully written review Runan.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Runan wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 14:52 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop" by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut.]

Lucky and Peanut, the beagles, sniff and taste the poop of various animals during their sniffari in The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop. They give it a rating based on the smell, texture, taste, and rarity. Written by M. Jackson from the point of view of beagles Lucky and Peanut, this illustrated novel lets the readers into the thought process of the beagles as they share their thoughts about different poops. The beagles also let the readers know about their butler’s thoughts when it came to the smell of different poops. The readers are in for a laughing riot at their quirky sense of humor as they try to finish eating or rolling in poop business before their butler steps in.

Although the book is creative and makes for a joyous read, I found some drawbacks in it. The font size is small and sometimes difficult to read. The author laid some of the text over dark background colors like dark blue and green. The text blends with the background, requiring the reader to strain a bit to read. Thankfully, some parts of the prose were on a lighter background, and I could easily discern it. Also, the author presented the entire prose on separate pages. Presenting some of the prose over the illustrations would be great. For these reasons, I am deducting a star from my rating.

The editing of this book is spectacular, as I found no errors. This book is not only about poop, but it also equips children with knowledge on the different habits of animals along with their behavioral traits. With words like pervasive, malodorous, and rummage used in this book, little children can expand their vocabulary. Even though there’s no conflict in this book, surprisingly, I was curious to know the winner of the best poop contest. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Children below 10 years of age who find poop jokes funny will enjoy this book wholeheartedly.
Runan, I feel like I know a lot of adults who would enjoy this :lol: This seems like a super cute and fun read for kids. You made some great points about the text, background, and subsequent readability. I was just at a friend's house yesterday, and we were talking about the gross habits of her dogs and how they not only roll around in horse poop but that they eat each other's dog poop. :puke-front: I'm curious who wins the best poop contest :lol: I enjoyed your review of this book! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Runan wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 14:52 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop" by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dogs smell everything they come into contact with. It can be dirty socks, grass, and poop as well! Pet owners provide delicious pet food to their dogs, yet they fancy poop sometimes. Especially when they are on a sniffari, they are excited to encounter poop.

The illustrations in this book precede the prose, are kept simple, and look like children’s paintings. I think both the artist and the author deliberately presented it this way to grab children’s attention. It is wonderful and definitely eye-catching. I’m pleased with the author for adding Mr. Beckham’s name along with Lucky and Peanut as co-authors. Though Mr. Beckham departed too soon for a beagle, the author’s decision to add him as the book’s co-author expresses the author’s sentiment that Mr. Beckham is still remembered and is very much part of the family.

Great review, Runan! I read and reviewed this book too, and I really liked the illustrations. I appreciated their simple style. I noticed that many new children's books feature computer-generated illustrations that lack feeling and passion. I understand what you're saying about the font size. Awesome job, and I wish you all the best!
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

It is strange and interesting that the author writes from the Beagles' point of view. I like this story with beautiful illustrations, I understand that the reading is not appreciated at all well, I will take that into account when I decide to read this book. Thank you very much for your review!
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Terry Kimble »

Say what? :eusa-think: The author must have beagles that eat doggy poop? :lol2: I have had German Shepherds, and never have they eaten any dog's poop; however, some of them--like the one I have now--will eat cat poop!😫 The vet told us that cat poop is like candy to a dog. So, we really have to watch that he doesn't find any because even though he knows he's not supposed to, he will sneakily eat it and it makes him sick. This book sounds quirky! Your Review is excellent, Runan! Thank you for the glimpse into this wacky-fun children's story. :tiphat:
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Sarah Zain wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 04:09 The book will be funny for children. Although his idea is relatively strange, it is new in some way. Beautifully written review Runan.
Yes, the idea is peculiar, but strangely humorous as well. Thank you, Sarah Zain, for reading my review and for your appreciation.
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Cara Wilding wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 18:37

Runan, I feel like I know a lot of adults who would enjoy this :lol: This seems like a super cute and fun read for kids. You made some great points about the text, background, and subsequent readability. I was just at a friend's house yesterday, and we were talking about the gross habits of her dogs and how they not only roll around in horse poop but that they eat each other's dog poop. :puke-front: I'm curious who wins the best poop contest :lol: I enjoyed your review of this book! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Oh yes, Cara. Dog owners and those who are friends with dog owners can relate to the peculiar habits of dogs. Funny, yet strange. Yes, I'm sure this book will make for a fun read for you too. Thank you for reading my review, and I’m glad you enjoyed it. :tiphat:
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 17:52
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Great review, Runan! I read and reviewed this book too, and I really liked the illustrations. I appreciated their simple style. I noticed that many new children's books feature computer-generated illustrations that lack feeling and passion. I understand what you're saying about the font size. Awesome job, and I wish you all the best!
Rightly said, Claudia Angelucci! I liked the illustrations as well. They are lively. Thanks for stopping by, reading my review, and leaving a comment. :tiphat:
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 16:15 It is strange and interesting that the author writes from the Beagles' point of view. I like this story with beautiful illustrations, I understand that the reading is not appreciated at all well, I will take that into account when I decide to read this book. Thank you very much for your review!
I’m glad the review could be helpful to you in some way, and I’m sure you will enjoy the illustrations as well. Thank you for reading my review and leaving a comment. :tiphat:
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Terry Kimble wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 16:35 Say what? :eusa-think: The author must have beagles that eat doggy poop? :lol2: I have had German Shepherds, and never have they eaten any dog's poop; however, some of them--like the one I have now--will eat cat poop!😫 The vet told us that cat poop is like candy to a dog. So, we really have to watch that he doesn't find any because even though he knows he's not supposed to, he will sneakily eat it and it makes him sick. This book sounds quirky! Your Review is excellent, Runan! Thank you for the glimpse into this wacky-fun children's story. :tiphat:
Well, the beagles in this book eat all kinds of poop. Haha. Since you have two German Shepherds, you can relate to this peculiar behavior. I hope you were able to manage to prevent your dogs from eating cat poop. :lol: Thanks for sharing your personal snippets. It makes me believe that many people with pets will surely relate to this book. I hope you read this book sometime and enjoy it as well. Thank you for your appreciation. :tiphat:
Runan
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

During my childhood, I frequently spent time playing with my uncle's dog, fostering a lasting affection for dogs. The book delves into the author's experiences with dogs, piquing my curiosity to explore it further. What a great writing.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”