Review of Just Die

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sia_young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg
fav_author_id: 2719

Review of Just Die

Post by Sia_young »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Just Die" by E Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Just Die by E. Alan Fleischauer throws a seemingly ordinary financial planner, Jake Silver, into a world of extraordinary power. After a stroke, Jake discovers he has the ability to kill with just a point and a whisper: "Just Die." This ability sparks a thrilling exploration – a test of Jake's morality. Will he use this power for good, or will the power consume him?

But the intrigue begins even before you delve into the story. The cover art is so captivating that it begs you to crack open the book. It's the perfect invitation to this genre-bending story that blends crime, mystery, and a touch of the thriller.

The book opens with a banging incident from Jake in the hospital after experiencing a stroke. He realizes his potential power when he accidentally kills a patient in his room. Jake confides in his fiancée, Beth Ann, and his friend Omar. Together, they embark on an exploration of his abilities- a test that pushes the boundaries of morality. Their first target is a rabid raccoon at Beth Ann's workplace.

The story kicks off well at the beginning. The first few chapters are smartly developed and keep the reader curious on every page. However, after a few chapters, the story lost its spark. I began questioning Jake's sanity when he went around testing his abilities on other living beings. I also found Beth Ann's actions weird. Being a veterinarian, she allowed Jake to try his powers on the raccoons in her clinic. Jake and his group of friends didn't realize the value of life and went around doing their experiments and eliminating the people they thought deserved to die. As the story progresses, many people realize Jake's powers, and he goes on to become a special agent for the country.

Apart from the above-mentioned negative aspects, the book has some good aspects as well. I saw some good character development in the second half. The part where DC goes to rehab to save herself from further exploitation was pretty good. Trish Campbell's story of addiction- what caused it and how she overcame it- was truly inspiring.

I wasn't quite satisfied with how the author ended the story. I also came across many profane words, and it put me off. Some of the characters could barely finish a sentence without swearing.
The book also has some delicate topics included, such as abuse, pedophilia, drug abuse, and addiction, which may not be suitable for sensitive readers.
Considering the drawbacks mentioned above, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.
This book is exceptionally well-edited and is a must-read for C/T/M/H lovers.

Just Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Some combination of interesting topics that will increasing the flavor variety when reading the book. Thanks for giving us insight from the book. It make me eager more to read the book
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”