Review of The Red Movement

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
fav_author_id: 2719

Review of The Red Movement

Post by Sia_young »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Red Movement" by Shadan Kapri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Shadan Kapri's The Red Movement isn't your typical social justice screed. It's a powerful call to action disguised as a captivating journey. The book's narrative confronts the harsh realities of modern-day slavery and environmental destruction. But The Red Movement doesn't just expose problems; it ignites a quest for change, empowering readers to become active participants in creating a better world.

The book builds on the work of the Black Lives Matter movement and the emergence of a new movement called the Red Movement, which focuses on the root causes of racism and social injustice, including modern-day slavery and child labor. In this book, the author empowers people to make choices that align with their values and support social justice. The book aims to create a global movement to end systemic discrimination and exploitation.

The first article discusses child labor and slavery in the cocoa industry, particularly in the Ivory Coast, which supplies the majority of the world's cocoa. The next article details a legal battle between former child slaves in Africa and major chocolate companies such as Nestle, and Archer Daniels over accusations of child labor. The book also argues that the coffee industry exploits farmers and workers, despite consumers paying high prices for coffee.
The term "blood diamond" is mentioned, and it talks about the dark side of conflict diamonds that are used to fund wars and use forced labor. While fast fashion is cheap, the author highlights how the clothes are made quickly and cheaply in factories that exploit workers and pollute the planet. He asks us to bring about change as consumers by demanding ethical fashion from brands. I was shocked to learn of the involvement of some of my favorite toy-producing companies, such as Hasbro, Mattel, and Walmart, in the exploitation of the human rights of factory workers.

Human trafficking and the secret world of electronics are connected as well. A case report of Apple is mentioned to help understand this better, and the author highlights how, as consumers of Apple, we play a major role in human rights violations.
The book later reveals the human rights violations in Malaysia. Workers, mainly immigrants in the electronics industry, were found to live in forced labor with fake promises of good pay and a better life for their families.

The book urges us to become aware of the truth behind the products we buy and to stop supporting companies with unethical practices. Because the revolution starts with individual consumers making conscious choices. The author narrates the birth of unchecked (unconscious) consumerism in the later part of the book.
Part 1 concluded with a discussion on the negative consequences of globalization, particularly on minority communities in the US and across the world as well. And it calls for a solution to these issues.

Part 2 begins with a passage on human trafficking and how it is done. Traffickers target vulnerable people, especially younger ones, and use technology to lure them. The chapter discusses the importance of education and support for survivors.
The book also sheds light on the truth that the World Cup, like the Super Bowl, is a magnet for human trafficking, especially among young, vulnerable girls. The Olympics are supposed to be celebrated, but the 2014 Sochi Games were tainted by human rights abuses. They relied on cheap migrant workers, leading to unsafe work conditions, wage theft, and possible human trafficking.

In the final part of the book, the author discusses the solution to fight modern-day slavery, racism, discrimination, social injustice, and the destruction of the environment. In this powerful call for action, the author outlines a clear path for fighting social injustice through collective action and conscious consumerism. A list of some of the great mobile apps that fight against modern-day slavery and human trafficking is given for our reference. The author urges the readers to support companies with ethical and environmentally sustainable products and transparent supply chains. He also gives a list of brands that care about their environmental footprints.

The book dives deeper into the concept of conscious consumerism, highlighting specific strategies to combat social injustice and environmental damage. We are asked to spread the message about how social injustice and our purchasing power can make great changes in the world.
The last few chapters contain text that connects the #MeToo movement to the fight against sex trafficking. It argues that bringing silenced problems like sex trafficking into the open is crucial to stopping them. By making informed decisions and demanding ethical practices, consumers can become a driving force for positive change.

The book concludes with an inspiring message: You are part of the global call to action, and your contribution matters. Start today!

I found no negative aspects of this book, as this book greatly impacted my knowledge and thinking. However, the speed of writing feels uneven in some places. Some parts felt slow and dragged on, while others were rushed and underdeveloped. For this reason, I'd like to rate this book 4 out of 5.
The book is nicely edited. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand pressing global issues and be part of the solution.

The Red Movement
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Social justice is an intriguing topic for me to read
It's interesting to talk about a product background and how by we buying the product, we support the crime behind it. Thanks for insightful review, it make me eager to read this book
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Mercury Mind by Nathan Lancry
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

What a challenging social issue to try to solve, and I give an author credit for boldness when they take on a topic so severe and painful. I also value reviewers who have the resilience to read social justice as a genre! Very nice review!
Sia_young

Post by Sia_young »

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 11 May 2024, 07:27 What a challenging social issue to try to solve, and I give an author credit for boldness when they take on a topic so severe and painful. I also value reviewers who have the resilience to read social justice as a genre! Very nice review!
I appreciate your thoughts on the book and this review. Hope you have a great reading experience if you choose to read this book.
Sia_young

Post by Sia_young »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 10 May 2024, 21:16 Social justice is an intriguing topic for me to read
It's interesting to talk about a product background and how by we buying the product, we support the crime behind it. Thanks for insightful review, it make me eager to read this book
Thankyou for sharing your thoughts. Hope you have a great reading experience if you choose to read this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”