Review of Ten Commandments for Church Reform

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Sanchez 34
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-sanchez-34.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Review of Ten Commandments for Church Reform

Post by Maria Sanchez 34 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ten Commandments for Church Reform" by John Wijngaards.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ten Commandments for Church Reform: Memoirs of a Catholic Priest by John Wijngaards revolves around his call for reform in the Catholic Church. Wijngaards skillfully navigates through the intricacies of his own experiences within the church, offering readers a candid glimpse into the challenges and triumphs he encountered along the way. From his early years in the priesthood to his later activism for change, Wijngaards presents an introspective narrative that promotes his views on the Catholic Church. 

One of the book's most striking qualities is its authenticity. Wijngaards bares his soul to readers, sharing intimate details of his life and ministry with refreshing honesty. His willingness to confront difficult truths and question longstanding traditions is both courageous and inspiring, encouraging readers to reflect on their own beliefs and values. Moreover, Wijngaards' commitment to equality and social justice shines through in his proposed reforms for the Catholic Church. He advocates for greater gender equality, challenges the Church's stance on celibacy, and calls for a more compassionate approach to issues such as sexuality and family planning. His vision for a more progressive and inclusive church resonates deeply with readers who share his passion for reform.

The book's narrative structure is both engaging and accessible, allowing readers to easily follow Wijngaard's journey from his early years in the priesthood to his later advocacy efforts. Each chapter builds upon the last, offering new insights and revelations that keep readers eagerly turning the pages. In terms of dislikes, I had nothing to hate about this book; its execution is just perfect.

This book is perfectly edited and well-written. Wijngaards' narrative is clear and concise, making complex theological concepts easily understandable to readers of all backgrounds. The inclusion of a glossary and a map further enhances the book's accessibility, providing valuable context and additional resources for readers seeking a deeper understanding of the issues at hand.

In conclusion, this book is an insightful read that challenges readers to critically examine their beliefs and consider the future direction of the Catholic Church. In light of its positive aspects, this book earns a well-deserved rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It is a timely and impactful work that will undoubtedly spark important conversations and inspire positive change within the church and beyond.

Ten Commandments for Church Reform
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Mercury Mind by Nathan Lancry
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

This is a gutsy and progressive priest! I’m a practicing Catholic and I think, based on this review, that I’d really enjoy this book. I’m adding it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for an insightful review, Maria!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”