Review of Love Letters to the Virgin Mary

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Review of Love Letters to the Virgin Mary

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love Letters to the Virgin Mary" by David Richards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book is written by someone with a military background and a strong commitment to Christ.

There are many great quotes from various scriptures, mostly focusing on Christianity and Judaism. The discussion about Islam isn't as extensive; it's more about how Mary is portrayed in the Quran.

For those who strongly believe that their religion is the only true one, this book might be challenging to accept. It highlights that Islam, Christianity, and Judaism are interconnected, influencing each other throughout history.

I particularly enjoyed the parts where the author shares his memoirs and how religion plays a role in his daily life. For instance, his childhood imaginary friend, whom he believed to be Jesus, the background of his family involved in wartime, and conditions in the early 19th century. Detailed stories from his past, like comics from Marvel, DC, and the mutants, were interesting. I appreciated the details of how he faced adulthood.

This book has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

However, I'd give this book a 3 out of 5 due to its unclear storyline. Sometimes the timeline jumps are confusing, from stories in Spartan times related to religion to his childhood as a marine family kid, followed by the current pandemic era. 

The transitions are somewhat confusing. At one point, he talks about the pandemic, then he discusses the relationship between films like Superman with Jesus and Wanda Vision with Adam and Eve. Over time, in some of the last parts of the book, it seems like a religious father watching movies and connecting them to events in Christ. A more coherent timeline or clearer time transitions would be better.

Another drawback is that some parts seem to wander aimlessly, making it hard to follow at times. The book, despite its initial premise of comparing the three religions, focuses more on connecting Christianity with his life experiences.

Overall, this book is decent for those wanting to understand Christianity, enjoy stories with a wartime and military background, or are fans of memoirs.

Love Letters to the Virgin Mary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

To be honest, This book questioned by ability to understand the themes or difference between timelines. I took lot of time to understand minimum of what's there in this book. Your critical reasoning explains exactly how this book is composed even though it had good content but failed due to division and unnecessary shift.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It’s too bad that the book wasn’t clearer. I would have enjoyed a comparison of how the Virgin is portrayed in Christianity versus Judaism and Islam. My guess is that it is pretty much the same. Transitions are difficult for an author, but smooth ones are essential for readers. Thanks!
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Blockhead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

This book has been on my list ever since joining this site, but just off your review, I'm not so sure it's my cup of tea anymore. The interconnectedness of the three major religions sounds like a nice premise, but I don't want reading this book to feel like reading a sermon - and an extremely confusing one, at that. Do you think it's still worth giving it a try?
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I have thought of picking this book. But after reading your review, I am having second thoughts!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sia_young »

Books about religion has always been an interesting genre to me. Since this book interconnects three religion and also contains wartime stories, it sounds intriguing. However, the drawbacks you mentioned may affect my decision to read it. Good job on the review!
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Mercury Mind by Nathan Lancry
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

I’m probably in the right target audience for this book. I’m a Catholic with a deep love for Mary. It sounds though like the wandering plot might just frustrate me! Even so, I’ll keep it in mind. Liked this review!
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

I am not a huge fan of religious books and I don't think I will be reading this one either though it sounds a bit interesting. Thank you for your review!
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Yashi Shukla »

As a fellow reader, I can see why you didn't find this book to be as enjoyable as I did, but I still thought it was good. I found this book fascinating, as I enjoy learning about different religions and cultures. Still, I can identify with a few of the drawbacks you mentioned about this book.
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the Many
Bookshelf Size: 2297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I am not religious but I like the attempt at finding common ground between religions. It's shame the book is not better organised.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Pixylations by Joe Laudati

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! Overall, this book is a decent read for those interested in Christianity and wartime narratives.
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

The author seems to believe in a connection between worldly things and religion, so he may relate many things, from childhood fascinations to adulthood happenings, to religion. His outlook is influenced by religion.

I think I would be interested in reading this book, if it's about memoirs. I like reading about real-life experiences.

I liked this review because, even with a low rating, it still makes me want to read this book. The review gives an understanding of the book. Thank you

Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Post by Runan »

I’m always open to seeing things from a different perspective, and this book seems to offer just that. I’m curious to find out how the author draws comparisons between different religions. I enjoyed reading both the negative and positive aspects of your review.
Runan
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: JJ and Frijolito by Victoria Cepeda
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

It sounds like "Mary" by David Richards offers a thought-provoking exploration of religion, intertwining personal memoirs with discussions on Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. The author's military background and commitment to Christ shine through, enriching the narrative with deep insights and engaging anecdotes. However, it seems the book struggles with clarity in its storyline and transitions, occasionally wandering off course. Despite this, it offers valuable perspectives for readers interested in Christianity, wartime experiences, and memoirs. Thank you for sharing your insightful review!
Elijah Reuben
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah-reuben.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Elijah Reuben »

Books about catholicism are very interesting. Although I'm not a Catholic, I find this book a good one and a must read for everyone in the Catholic belief. A well-written review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”