Review of Backcomb & Tattoo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Review of Backcomb & Tattoo

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Backcomb & Tattoo" by Shea R Embry.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the book "Backcomb & Tattoo" by Shea R. Embry, I found a touching story of friendship among four remarkable women, despite their age differences and backgrounds.

The book began with Rachel's story as the wife of Jack, a musician who always made her feel alone and abandoned. Her life started to change when she met Aunt Mary Opal, an older, warm-hearted woman who could accompany her even at her mother's funeral.

Their life journey became more intriguing when Rachel met Jesi on her vacation in Spain and Nicole, whom she met accidentally.

I like how the book portrayed the perspectives of the four different women supporting each other through their life struggles. "Women supported women," perhaps this was their motto. Books written by female authors always offered complex and engaging perspectives.

I appreciate the way the author described the complex details of each character, with emotional issues brought by each character. Their imperfections made the story feel perfect. The depiction of the story background, each character's background with their respective issues, was also engaging, making me unable to stop reading until the end.

These four women supported each other, facing marital discomfort, doubts about leaving toxic relationships, recovering from trauma, trust issues, and the desire to die peacefully without pain.

Each story is wrapped in humor, intriguing secret ingredients, and a good emotional and thought-provoking depiction of the characters. The characters' thought processes are also explained in a way that makes readers feel the characters' feelings, as if we are experiencing them directly.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 because the complexity of the issues brought up in the book was executed well by the author.

The book is written with an enjoyable flow, flawless editing, and descriptive portrayal. This is also why I gave it a perfect score.

Even if there are shortcomings in this book, perhaps this book may not have been suitable for people who morally disagree with alcohol, tattoos, euthanasia, and LGBT issues. There are also some adult scenes, so this book should be read by mature individuals with open minds. 

However, I consider these elements to be what enhance the uniqueness of this story. It depicts how a human, despite its imperfections, can find happiness in life. This is great work, and I love it.

Backcomb & Tattoo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Yashi Shukla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yashi-shukla.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Yashi Shukla »

This review is really nicely written. The way you broke down the idea of this book was excellent. I'm interested in the themes this book covers and the explanation you provided of the things readers who are sensitive to certain things should be aware of. I am eager to peruse your reviews of other novels.
Yours truly,
Yashi Shukla
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

This is a positive review of an enlightening book. Women are complex humans. I should know. Growing up I lived with my grandmother, mother, and sister. I am married 40 years to my wife, and have three daughters in their thirties. I love them all but am still trying to understand them. Lol. I am guessing this book will help. Thanks for the great review. :techie-studyinggray:
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Wow, book about women's strength. That's something I love to read,the raw life experiences which brings soul searching answers from eachother by supporting. what's best than women supporting eachother.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I believe I will love this book. A very interesting plot involving four women. Will surely pick this up if I have a chance.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Mercury Mind by Nathan Lancry
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

Women supporting women warms my heart! Any plot involving four women who mutually support each other reminds me of the Golden Girls TV show. That has my heart smiling too!
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Thank you for your detailed review! The book intrigues me and I would love to read a book with characters who have emotional depth and complexity to them as well as support each other.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the Many
Bookshelf Size: 2297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

This sounds like an almost found-family story. I think it's good to have friends both older and younger than yourself.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Pixylations by Joe Laudati

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Wonderful review! Despite touching on some controversial themes, the book truly shines in its character development and storytelling. I admire it for its captivating prose and depth of emotion.
Ashwini Tawade
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

How nice! The review and the author's writings, as you have mentioned!
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Post by Runan »

Another wonderful review! Women standing up for each other and supporting each other is always lovely to read. I’m curious to read about the complex situations these women face and how they deal with them.
Runan
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: JJ and Frijolito by Victoria Cepeda
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Thank you for your heartfelt review of "Backcomb & Tattoo" by Shea R. Embry. Your deep connection to the story of friendship among the four women and appreciation for the author's portrayal of their complexities are evident. Your recognition of the book's engaging storyline, flawless editing, and thought-provoking themes is insightful. Your understanding of its potential audience limitations and your overall admiration for its celebration of human imperfections are well-articulated. Thank you for sharing your thoughtful perspective on this remarkable work.
Boddeda Priyanka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boddeda-priyanka.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Boddeda Priyanka »

Your review was clear and precise .A great review .The way you explained the book is great .Thanks for writing the review .
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 220%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

This review does a good job explaining what the book is mostly about. More importantly, it gives the reader a look into relationships between women and how they look like, how they ought to be. And I believe the friendships formed between the characters are enough to pick this book.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Recipe Book for Kids by Lloyd Edward Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks for this great review. I like what you say about women supporting women. It is a great review and the book looks worth reading.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”