Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber is a wonderful children’s book about accepting yourself. Even though it is a book for children, it can be read by adults, psychologists, and therapists to help understand children’s perspectives and explain difficult topics to them through a story. Other than the story, the book also contains a self-help guide and discussion questions.

Edwin was raised in a tidepool, where everyone was told there was nothing beyond the "wall." He was an odd-looking fish; at least that is what everyone told him. He didn’t have beautiful scales or much of a tail, and he used his grabby fins to eat. All the other fish either told him to blend in as a fish or made fun of him. But one day, his fins start mysteriously cracking, and he gets accidentally carried out into the ocean. Join Edwin as he journeys into the unknown world of change, acceptance, and growth, as well as finding other sea creatures.

There were so many things I liked about the book, with the first being the characters. I felt a lot of the characters were complex and nuanced. An example of this was how Edwin’s journey to self-acceptance and change wasn’t smooth sailing. He experienced struggles and wasn’t always sure of himself. Riley, Edwin’s friend, wasn’t perfect and made mistakes, but she tried to be a better friend to him in the end. Secondly, the book was humorous and flowed well. I especially liked Daedalus breaking the fourth wall multiple times. The discussions in the end were absolutely amazing. They were informative, deep, and eye-opening, and they were explained in a very simple manner. I feel that a lot of kids and adults will be able to connect with this book.
There was nothing I disliked about the book. I thought the book was fantastic and thoughtful.

I only found a few minor errors, so I believe the book was professionally edited. For the reasons above, I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. I absolutely loved the book. The book is especially great for children and adults alike and deals with very important themes in today’s world, like change and accepting yourself, not fitting in, LGBTQ+, friendship, and more. I believe the book can help children understand their own emotions and feelings regarding the above themes. However, if someone is very traditional and religious, they may find some topics of the book uncomfortable and can avoid the book.

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I agree with you that this book talks a lot about self-acceptance. I like how the character's journey leads to a positive conclusion about accepting themselves. It's great to be on the same page with you in this writing. Thank you for writing this review. What a great review!
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading:

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 03 May 2024, 21:52 I agree with you that this book talks a lot about self-acceptance. I like how the character's journey leads to a positive conclusion about accepting themselves. It's great to be on the same page with you in this writing. Thank you for writing this review. What a great review!
Thank you Tomy! This book is a great book for kids and adults alike and has some discussion questions that talks about change, self acceptance, confidence and much more. Overall, it was a wonderful book.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A perfect review! I agree with you about this book. I loved reading it.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading:

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Priya Murugesan wrote: 12 May 2024, 10:57 A perfect review! I agree with you about this book. I loved reading it.
Thank you for your feedback! I hope you enjoyed reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”