Review of Fireproof Happiness

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Fireproof Happiness

Post by Julie Basil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fireproof Happiness" by Dr. Randy Ross.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you been losing hope and feeling exasperated by circumstances that are out of your control? Are you seeking inspiration to keep moving forward when life has you feeling down? Would you benefit from practical advice on how to continue pursuing hope amidst the struggles and difficulties that you’ve been facing? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you will benefit from reading Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross.

Throughout this book, Dr. Randy provides examples from his own life and the lives of others that demonstrate how they continued to persevere and remain hopeful while facing challenges. The book is split into three parts, with the first part centered around gaining perspective on what hope is and what hope is not, as well as the benefits of maintaining hope when facing challenges. When you are in the middle of a trial or difficulty, it can be a challenge to see a way forward or to believe that your circumstances can and will improve, but when you do eventually get through the trial or overcome the challenge, it is easier to see how this difficulty can be a force for good in your life.

The second part builds upon the first and reminds readers to look to the future when they are working to cultivate hope in their lives. Difficult circumstances cannot last forever; a situation will eventually start to improve. When we look to the future while we are in the midst of a challenge or experiencing suffering, we can reflect on what good might come from this experience. No one wants to experience hard times, but often hard times lead people to places they never would have considered before if they hadn’t experienced a particular challenge or setback. Looking to the future allows us to hold onto hope that things will be better, and this can help us endure challenges and suffering.

The third and final part of the book focuses on the “prognosis” for those who choose hope. There are reflections and personal anecdotes on suffering, including a section with multiple references to Victor Frankl’s book, Man’s Search for Meaning. Frankl is a psychologist and Holocaust survivor whose book reflects on how he and others held onto hope amidst the horrors they experienced in concentration camps. This is an extreme example, but one that really drives home the point that holding onto hope is not only possible in cases of extreme suffering and injustice, but it is also necessary for survival.

Overall, Dr. Ross does well in presenting a case for pursuing hope amidst life’s challenges while sharing practical tips and personal anecdotes that can help readers in their journey to choose hope. Only one minor error was found throughout the book, which suggests that it was professionally edited. Due to its impactful and relevant message, I am rating Fireproof Happiness 5 out of 5 stars. I believe that many people in today’s world struggle to hold onto hope amidst the personal challenges and struggles they face, as well as the global challenges and injustices that we face and witness on a regular basis. Anyone who is currently struggling to maintain hope or who has experienced feelings of despair or hopelessness at some point in their lives could benefit from reading this book.

Fireproof Happiness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: The Gromes in "A Top Hat Day" by Zed

Post by Anu Anand »

Great review! Your detailed breakdown of the book's structure and content provides a clear understanding of its value. Well done!
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I read this book and I agree with everything outlined in this review. The author gives the reader a solid definition of what hope is and how to use it to face challenges in our darkest times. I remember feeling exhilarated and inspired while reading this book. I am happy that this review is encouraging people to read this book that is full of wisdom and helpful guidance. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

The book calls for hope in facing life's difficulties. The idea is beautiful, even if it is often difficult to hold on to hope. I loved reading your review, as it explains the book's ideas wonderfully. Great review Julie!
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

The title itself is attention grabbing. Hope and happiness go hand in hand, and this book will help people retain hope while facing challenges. I enjoyed reading your detailed review. It captures the essence of the book perfectly. Looking forward to read more from you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

This is a truly intriguing review. I'm glad that you enjoyed the book. There must be quite a bit of competition in the self-help genre. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. Thank you, Julie. All the best!
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Born in a Storm by Mark Carew

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! Your reflection on the second part of the book, emphasizing the importance of looking to the future as a means of cultivating hope, captures the optimistic essence of Dr. Ross's message. It's compelling how you note that, despite the inevitability of difficult times, there is always the potential for positive outcomes and growth.
Julie Basil

Post by Julie Basil »

Sarah Zain wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 11:16 The book calls for hope in facing life's difficulties. The idea is beautiful, even if it is often difficult to hold on to hope. I loved reading your review, as it explains the book's ideas wonderfully. Great review Julie!
Thank you for the kind words, Sarah!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Julie Basil

Post by Julie Basil »

Gerry Steen wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 10:08 I read this book and I agree with everything outlined in this review. The author gives the reader a solid definition of what hope is and how to use it to face challenges in our darkest times. I remember feeling exhilarated and inspired while reading this book. I am happy that this review is encouraging people to read this book that is full of wisdom and helpful guidance. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
I’m glad that you also enjoyed this book. I think everyone can benefit from inspiration and reminders to hold onto hope. Thanks, Gerry!
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Julie, wow, your review was more in-depth than mine; this is awesome. Like you I agreed with everything Dr Randy Ross stated, and I've been putting into practice his suggestions every day. I really believe every person can benefit from reading this book.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

As a fellow reader, I can resonate with your experience while reading this book. I agree with most of your perspectives here, that this book is well-written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad we can resonate in the book reading experience here.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”