Review of Opaque

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 104%

Review of Opaque

Post by RJ Reviews »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dark and sinister thoughts about people around him often plague Adam, a 16-year-old student from Piure, California. Everyone is wary of his sociopathic behavior and unfriendly nature. But his life takes a sudden turn when Carly, a new student, joins his class. Both take an immediate liking to each other, like a moth to a flame. Carly is calm and accepting of Adam's chaos. As their friendship grows, Adam's real identity as a mutated human, called 'descendant', unveils. But his life is at stake as a group of scientists, the Iksha, conspire to destroy the descendants and acquire their supernatural powers. Who are these 'descendants'? Will Adam and Carly be able to save themselves and others from those devious scientists? Read Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign, the first book of the Scion Saga series, to learn about those teenagers' fates. 

This book is meant for young adults. The author skillfully combines several genres, like science fiction, romance, fantasy, and mystery. It is a character-driven story. The main protagonist, Adam, faces the challenges of adolescence as dark and inappropriate thoughts swirl in his mind. His unhealthy obsession with his mother adds to his emotional upheaval and the mystery aspect of the story. Adam's struggles to come to terms with his superpowers as they manifest make him relatable and authentic. As he stumbles down the path of self-discovery, his character undergoes impressive development. The diverse cast of characters adds to the complexity of the plot. Carly is calm and collected, making her a likable one. Both Dauma and Vera are caring yet strong. 

The story proceeds at a steady pace in first-person dual POVs. The descendants' origins, as well as their unique magical abilities, contribute to the suspense and fantasy aspects. The rich vocabulary enhances the reading experience. This multi-layered novel is impeccably edited, with zero errors. There are darker themes, like rape, infidelity, and mental health issues, but the author deals with them with sensitivity. There is nothing I dislike about this book. This page-turner is a promising start to a fantasy series. For all these reasons, I rate this book 5 out of 5

Due to the presence of profanities and some suggestive scenes, I would recommend this to older teenagers and adults. This coming-of-age novel will grab the attention of fantasy and science fiction readers. As the first book in a series, it paves the way for more stories in the future. 

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi RJ, this sounds like my kind of book; I'm glad that you said it's for adults, too, as I was a bit concerned it might be too teen-focused. Based on your 5/5 stars I'm adding this one to my list.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

The story seems to have a slightly dark tone. With the combination of topics presented by the author makes the book interesting. I loved reading your review RJ it was engaging and added a point to the book.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Thank you for your detailed review! It looks like a dark but intriguing book. I look forward to reading it!
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

What a remarkable summary. I don't usually applaud any for this but tour summary is just the best. Its like I have known everything g aniut the boy and the new girl in school. This automatically is worth reading.
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: The Faces of Unborn Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Terry Kimble »

The first three words of this review, "Dark and sinister," are exactly what popped into my head when I first looked at the book cover. I enjoyed this detailed review. Thanks, RJ. I will most likely read this one soon. :techie-reference:
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Mercury Mind by Nathan Lancry
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

I love first-person dual POV for sci-fi and YA — I feel like I get a much stronger and deeper understanding of the characters’ mindsets and obstacles! I’m also intrigued by his obsession with his mother and I wonder how that nets out in conclusion. I will check this one out. Great review, RJ!
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Anu Anand »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! The blend of genres and the character-driven plot kept me engaged from start to finish. Your review beautifully captures the essence of the book, highlighting its strengths and captivating storyline. Thank you for the insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”